Agnostic.com

5 1

Whoa! Scott Kelly Spent a Year in Space, and Now He Has Different DNA Than His Identical Twin Brother [livescience.com]

Qualia 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah by 0.02 % . What got my attention was the fact that his telomeres lenghtened while up there. That is interesting, since our shorten as we age. it is the reason we age. so his lenghtening was interesting to say the least. BUT! after he returned they eventually shortened to the length of his brothers. but for a while he was younger!

That is bizarre.

I wonder how much of the changes are due to radiation. NASA's statement didn't mention it. I just happened to see a report on the show Seeker about growing plants on the ISS (which Scott Kelly worked on), which made me wonder if the plant DNA is also being effected.
[nasa.gov]space-radiation-won-t-stop-nasa-s-human-exploration

They have stated before that they knew that cosmic rays are a constant threat to the DNA so I'm sure it is partially responsible. But other changes like his telomeres lengthening would not be caused by radiation. So there has to be some other cause.

I wonder when will his super powers will develop?

Interesting, isn't it? That will keep the scientists busy for several years, I'm sure.

marga Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

Gene expression

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.