Agnostic.com

4 0

Pre-judge (or prejudice) and Racism, how similar, or how different are these charachteristics.
As children do we make an educated choice, or is that choice made for us.

Tomas 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was in elementary school I spent a lot of time with my grandparents on a military base next to the town I grew up in. This town in Oklahoma was and is very racist. On the military base I played with Black, Puerto Rican, and Asian kids. They were just kids. My parents also taught us that racism was wrong. My brother and I have never had racist feelings. My experience is that it is a learned behavior.

I think natural selection gave us prejudice, it helps to distinguish "my tribe" from "not my tribe" and that is (or was) a survival advantage. I think we all have to overcome that natural tendency as we grow up.

I’ve witnessed children at play in day care, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, not able to walk or talk but able to “mix” without preference toward another.

@Tomas If children are socialized in a diverse environment like that early, then THAT is their "tribe" and they don't fear different skin colors and such. But I'll bet even in that setting a two year old knows when someone takes what's "mine".

I don't think we can be free from "Pre-judge (or prejudice)". It entails the ability to differentiate something from something else. There was a psychological study done a while back with infants. Black and white infants were brought into a room by a nurse one at a time and set inbetween two goups of women, one group black and the other white. The baby was allowed to crawl, and around 80% of them went to the group that resembled their skin tone. The conclusion is , almost like the the ancient saying 'like likes like'.
Racism is learned behavior, there is no apparent difference that distinguishes a Jew from any other White person, yet antisemitism exists. Racism can be and is built into a society. Systematic racism was fundamental part of the USA for 100 years after the Civil War, it is now unlawful to discriminate on the basis of skin tone.
While such discrimination is unlawful, it is still practiced in our society. I don't think that all racists are aware of their racism, because it is so ingrained in their nuturing that it is not thought about. Such people may deny being racist yet their behavior suggests otherwise.

cava Level 7 Mar 16, 2018

Great points!

My brother, brown like me, has always preferred to date blonde women -- he actually married one. Is he racist because of that?

@hlfsousa Preference is not the same as racism in my opinion, it is similar to liking chocolate over vanilla ice cream. Now if anyone were to deny to sell their home to someone else because they were blonde, that is racism.

@cava So if I prefer to buy a house in a neighborhood populated only by people of my own skin color, am I not being racist?

I'm intentionally trying to blur the line, to see where it is drawn. It is not that I agree or disagree, I'm trying to understand your view.

I mention in a previous response, I’ve witnessed almost the opposite. Depending on the size and term of Psyc. study... conclusion is questionable.
I’ve also seen children of 5 and 6 yrs mix, play, enjoy one another without obvious prejudice... my experience was not a formal study, but personal experience over a few years.

@Tomas No doubt, but the infants I referred to were not racist.

They apparently felt more comfortable with the women who resembled them and their mothers skin tone. It is one of the ways that differentiation (which is necessary) begins. As I said I think that racism is learned, it is not the same as the way the infants reacted.

Tough one. Some fears and beliefs are innate. Some are above rationality (see "alief" ). And determinism implies that we can be "educated" to consciously believe almost anything. But the fact that we can also consciously break through indoctrination contradicts that, in a way. It is an exciting area of study, for sure. One I do not risk to claim knowledge about.

I don't believe in innate fears or beliefs, that is occult in my opinion. Sure there is a spectrum of preferences which include racism at an extreme, but in practice it is not too difficult to discern the difference between them.

I don't believe in determinism because I can not will as easy as I can will.

@cava animals are born knowing how to walk, what predators to fear, how to find water, how ro bind with the mother. We are primed to speech, identify our kind. These are just some examples of innate beliefs or behaviors. That is firmly established by research. The question is to which extent new beliefs can be formed, especially contrary to existing instincts.

@hlfsousa I don't agree. Yes we are primed for speech, and we can recognize our kind, but as you state these seem to be instinctual, therefore they are not beliefs. Rather they are species abilities, capacities, talents inherent to our species.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.