Agnostic.com

5 0

You are a plantation slave in Georgia . . .

. . . You have a master who legally owns you. He can beat you, starve you, or sell you off to someone else and no one will try to stop him. It would be nice if all the other slaves rose up and fought for freedom together but that's not going to happen, not in your lifetime. You are frequently forced to suffer physical pains by your master. There's little hope of escape.

How do you cope mentally? What choices can you make about your life? What constitutes success for you?

UpsideDownAgain 7 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agree w Great Nani- Slaves and later black people in general are very religious I believe as an escape/coping mechanism needed even in current daily lives in America being treated as second class citizens. One in 3 or 4 black men go to prison and all prisons are work camps. Slavery still exists here. Solace for slaves in song dance art and family as well. Success is SURVIVAL.

Turn to Jesus because I would have been informed that is the only way out of the insanity and await my salvation, preferably sooner rather than later.

Very likely. Ironically, if what I've been told is correct, the gospel songs that the slaves loved so much were encoded messages giving slaves information on how to escape. The song "Wade in the Water," purportedly a song about baptism, is said to be an encoded message explaining how to lose the trail of dogs sent to sniff after you. If this is true, there is some level of salvation in Jesus, eh?

@UpsideDownAgain That’s good, I didn’t know that!

I don't think that is something that be explained in words very easily unless you've experienced it personally. Their are too many layers of despair, sadness, etc to be able to capture adequately.

For some it was thinking about a better afterlife. For me, I have no idea how I would cope.

I have no idea what I'd do or be like.

It still amazes me that people can own another person and think that's ok. Just baffles me how they can justify it.

1of5 Level 8 Aug 2, 2019

@powder yeah, I know

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:382855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.