Agnostic.com

8 3

Voodoo!

My posts would show that I am pretty much a skeptic on everything, gods, ghosts, reiki and such. I am however a bit of a fan of unorthodox medicine. I almost never take pain killers.
Last year I had some pretty decent eye surgery - major fail. I have decided to forego surgery on the other eye and am looking into topical immuno suppressants to reduce scars on my eyes. (I can get from a vet using an excuse re my dog).
I cauterise cuts rather than having them stitched. I have a small laser that has 5 beams that when focused on one point works amazingly well, I use it to stop bleeding and remove carcinomas. I do all of this to avoid going to see a doctor basically.

Now I have this problem, torn rotator cuff muscles, worn bones and bursitis in both shoulders with considerable inflamation. X-rays and ultrasounds were quite conclusive. The medical answer is shoulder reconstruction surgery.
Waiting list is a couple of years, success rate not that great.

Plan . My thought is to get rid of inflammation using turmeric, feed the cartilage with rose hip and glucosamine and strengthen the surrounding muscles with careful exercise. Some of this feels a bit hocus pocus and I am still working on it.

The damage has occurred gradually over the past 40 years, I have not been gentle on my shoulders. The pain apart from one or two hits over the years has only begun in the past 6-8 weeks. So obviously the damage was fine up to a certain point, if I can just take it back a bit I may be ok.

I should have had back surgery in 1991 and heel surgery in 1998, both times I got rid of the problem by changing the way bones and muscles sat. OK, problems are still there but have no impact on me for now, I know as I age they will bite me.

Dr has given me 4 weeks to show some improvement or he wants to start steroid injections into my shoulder, they did that on my heel, achieved nothing.

Two questions.

1. Am I fooling myself and this really is just hocus pocus?
  2. Any other suggestions re busted shoulders, pain inflammation exercise ? Many thanks in advance.
Rugglesby 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There canb muchto be said unorthodox medicine. Many pharmaceutical medicines arebased or derived from herbal medicines. This being said, many many, herbal and unorthodox medicines and therapy are specifically designed to part us from our money.
Think of it this way, if a gasket is blown on a carburetor it must be replaced or repaired properly. Nomagic juice, music or nice car perfume will help. Go a doctor for your shoulder.

Have been to Dr. got all the scans done. Had major eyes surgery last year it was a disaster, shoulder reconstruction is not guaranteed, plus there is a 3 year waiting list here. So will see if I can fix first, or at least manage it. I see your point though.

I had knee pain so bad I was taking 2 percocet a day and getting some relief. the knee pain was due to craters in the cartelige in the knee joint, was bad enough to start thinking about knee replacement. I later started to get nose bleeds, I don't know why and nothing to do with the percocet. Because of the nose bleeds I ran out of blood platelets and was diagnosed with ITP and had a blood platelete count of 2. Was immediately sent to Portland 90 miles away and treated for the ITP. During this treatment I was given steroids and IVIG. My blood suger spiked and I was given insulin. Took some time but the platelets came back and my pain from my knees stopped. Been about a year and I have taken one percocet for knee pain in this time. I started to take Glucosamine and condriten (spelling) and feel it has helped. Have no real idea what is happening with the knees, I do use a cane sometimes having problems with inclines and such. My thought is to try what you want and do research to find if it is harmful. If it seems to work keep it up and if it does not then stop taking it. Find a good herbalist, if you cannot find one there is one in Astoria, she is great and knowledgeable. Apparently no website but you can google for her and she does have a phone, or snail male works also. Not an ad for her just a suggestion.

Thanks for that, hope the knee eases. This friend of mine with the liver transplant had her spleen taken out about 30 years ago thinking it was eating her platelets, since then they have mentioned ITP, but I didn't take any notice, spleen was gone so it was a bit late. Like you said, I will keep researching and trying some things. Surgery is something I will do my best to avoid.

more unpleasant news 😉

my back began to twist out of alignment early on, leaving me with the threefold: kyphosis, lordosis & skoliosis. additionally to that i had two accidents, which resulted in one badly healed, now wedge-shaped T4 & a major disc prolapse between L5 & S1. i do exercises daily, just switched from a chiro to a physio, who gave me a few new exercises, very effective.

in matters of nutrition i would always start with alkalising the organism. since a spell of lymphoma 2 years ago i take a generous amount of turmeric in every cooked dinner i have (in olive oil with lotsa freshly ground black pepper - important for digestibility). there are some mushrooms like turkeytail, reishi, etc. that have a positive effect on inflammatory conditions. cbd (&cba) oil (the 20.something %er) of course is THE king of healers. i eat a lot of brassica & garlic, raw & cooked.

very similar, I use coconut oil and black pepper with the turmeric, always lots of garlic, and have kept my system as alkali as possible for over 35 years. Helps with mouth ulcers, lactic acid build up in muscles and many other things. My family all have bad backs, I am the only one who has not had surgery, I have pretty decent lordosis, exacerbated from many years riding wave skis in heavy surf, falling out of the sky onto your bum does not help. I would get home and the small of my back would be black with bruises. It gave out many years ago, could not walk, could hardly breathe it was so painful. Ever since, lots of crunches, sit ups and other exercises to strengthen all the muscles in my gut. I hope you got the lymphoma sorted.

yes, well, thank you. i still have check ups every 6 months, & so far it seemed to have been a topical thing on the thyroid. i had surgery, which i am not absolutely opposed to. i wish you all the best on your journey to wellness, @Rugglesby.

Well after only 3 days, a little more movement with out screaming, but more continuous pain when not moving it. Time will tell.

I take different supplements rather than go to the doctor and when my husband was given 9 months to live we extended that to 2 years with diet change and supplements

Yes, I have an ex of mine who is now 20 years past her prognosis, ok, she had a liver transplant almost 5 years ago, but she never would have made it without being creative.
We had her on a lot of supplements, some more natural than others, and her diet was extreme due to her liver failure we had to juggle her blood chemistry daily. 7am every morning for blood tests. Her blood cells collapsed, her brain became poisoned with the toxins in her system. I had this massive spreadsheet with all her blood chemicals in along with extremely precise breakdown of what she ate. The amount of cooking involved was a nightmare.The fight at the end was to just keep her alive until her youngest son finished school. She still takes supplements, as well as anti rejection medications. This weekend she is attending boot camp at the Australian Academy of Sports prior to the upcoming games. 2 years ago she got 5 individual gold and a bronze for team relay all in swimming. She was 59 then, so getting close to 62 for the next one.I was amazed, Although she is an ex, and scored a house out of me, she had no one else, I had even organised her will and made funeral arrangements it was that close.

@Rugglesby wow that's an amazing story

Recomend that you do not use drill it hurts. There is a lot of homeopathic medicines being advertised these days and a GREAT DEAL OF IT CAN BE DANGEROUS.I would seek a great deal of research before using any of it . I have seen two people injured by this stuff.

I would never touch homeopathy, my call on that is.
Put 2 drops in 1 glass of water, or
Put 1 drop in 2 glasses of water, or
Put no drops in 3 glasses of water
and throw the water away.
I am just looking into exercise/physio therapy and natural inflammatories, but even this is a bit new to me other than my normal diet.

Just don't emulate the guy in the picture. I've been using glucosamine for over 25 yrs now, and there is no question in my mind that it works for me. At 68, I have virtually no chronic joint pain, none. I am convinced it works for me because the 2 or 3 times I ran out, my joint pain returned, and one time my knees locked up on me after barely beginning a walk with my dogs.

I just began, about a month back, taking turmeric. It's probably too early to tell, but I seem to have experienced a reduction in overall body pain since starting on it. Maybe that's a placebo effect, I don't know. But the pain lessening is unequivocally real.

Several months back, while going through a comprehensive (Medicare sponsored) physical, I mentioned to the P.A. that I'd been experiencing some neuropathy in my lower legs, numbness. She suggested I try magnesium tablets. I got some immediately, and after a few weeks, I noticed a slight reduction in the neuropathy. It is at about only 25% now of what it was before I began using the magnesium. I am convinced, also btw, that the neuropathy was originally brought on by prescription cholesterol medication, which I arbitrarily stopped using. I have had blood work done since quitting the cholesterol med, and no indication of elevated cholesterol, as far as I know.

Thanks for that, Glucosamine was part of my fix years ago, and I used it on my dog 4 years back, she is walking again. What I like is I was told, try it for 30 days, if it doesn't work, stop taking it. It worked.

@Rugglesby, I have had more than one person tell me it did not work for them. I suspect they either stopped using it too quickly, or did not take it per the directions. I'm glad to know it worked for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.