Agnostic.com

6 2

QUESTION Artist Stood Still For 6 Hours to Let People Do What They Wanted to Her Body, The Results Are Heartbreaking - Observerink

This instance of performance art occurred 43 years ago. Three years ago Shia LaBeouf did a similar piece and a woman attempted to rape him. From Wikipedia:

Since then, LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner have engaged in numerous high-profile performance art projects, including #IAMSORRY (2014), #INTRODUCTIONS (2015), #ALLMYMOVIES (2015), #TOUCHMYSOUL (2015), #TAKEMEANYWHERE (2016), and HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US (2017–ongoing).

In November 2014, LaBeouf stated that a woman had "stripped [his] clothing and proceeded to rape [him]" the previous February during the trio's #IAMSORRY performance in Los Angeles,[81] while Rönkkö and Turner clarified that they had prevented the assault by intervening as soon as they were aware of the incident starting to occur.[82][83] In response to Piers Morgan's questions on Twitter as to why the woman was not detained, Turner stated that she ran out before it was clear precisely what had happened, and that the first priority had been to ensure everybody's safety in the gallery. When later asked whether they regretted not having a code of conduct for participants during the exhibit, Turner said, "I don’t think you need a notice on the wall saying 'Do not murder the artist'."[84]

vertrauen 7 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately I am not surprised. Nauseated, frightened, saddened..., but not surprised. The capper was afterwards when no one would acknowledge her after they had just abused her. Reminds me of the Milgram experiment.

This is awful! Thanks for sharing.

Lilie Level 6 Dec 28, 2017

I have to say it's sad and depressing to read this. I've never seen such group human acts towards a defenseless person with my own eyes but it reminded me of some book and movie scenes. The artist noted: “This work reveals something terrible about humanity. It shows how fast a person can hurt you under favorable circumstances. It shows how easy it is to dehumanize a person who does not fight, who does not defend himself. It shows that if he provides the stage, the majority of ‘normal’ people, apparently can become truly violent.”

Due to humans' propensity to act like sheep, I wonder, if the first few people had responded with love, kindness and graciousness, the event would have turned out much less cruel and violent.

On a brighter note, I'm glad I get to witness random act of kindness from strangers every day 🙂

Imagine if there were some present who objected to her mistreatment before it got so utterly obscene. Maybe some did, but there's no mention of it.

Imagine if there had been some present who had offered some of their clothing to replace her razor-shredded attire and thereby to protect her body from the onslaught of cutting. Would the abusers have dared to shred other people's clothes?

I had to force myself to read the article. How far do some people go just because they think they can get away with it? Are they testing her? If all the people had been "nice" to her would an article have been written about the event at all? Bad news sell papers comes to mind.

Re the first part of your comments, I had the same experience - I couldn't look for almost an hour after it appeared on my FB feed, but then steeled myself.

Re "bad news sell papers" - Yet the event was 43 years ago, so it isn't as if the performance and the article were linked. And, ironically, i think the point of the performance art at the time wasn't at all about reception in the media, but rather about the period after the stillness, when she started moving around among the visitors and they couldn't look at her. It was primarily instructive to those in attendance at the gallery. Whether the worst of them learned anything, I rather doubt, but probably some did.

This certainty reveals some disturbing things about human nature.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.