Agnostic.com

9 19

LINK Dear Sister: I am an Atheist | Recovering from Religion

I've written similar letters to my sister.

FTA: Dear Sister,
I may not have been clear in my last email so let me be clear now. I am an atheist. I know of no evidence to believe that there is anything supernatural. I believe that humans created all of the gods of the past, and that humans have created the thousands of deities that are currently worshiped today, including the God of Abraham.

zblaze 7 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is true!

We created them All.

I would say that she probably stopped reading sometime after the first paragraph. Her alarm bells would be ringing and her brain would go into self defense mode.
A letter like that, very concise and well written as it is, only resonates with other atheists.

Unfortunately, you’re probably spot on.

It would be fun to read her response.

I also have the exact same thoughts about deism and theism.

No use confronting your family about your lack of religious beliefs as it just causes hard feelings and makes life more difficult .

Maybe there is no use to you, but if I can get just one person to discard their delusional beliefs it would be very worthwhile IMO.

@zblaze I don’t think you’ll have any luck convincing anyone to quit their religion but you sure may piss some of them off. I prefer to avoid a fight if possible.

@Trajan61 Each to their own. I take discouragement well.

and I know the brunt of that just by telling them my views on atheism.

@TimeOutForMe Most of the time it’s better to keep quite about your atheism when your around religious friends and relatives. You can discuss your atheism around your atheist friends/relatives or on this website.

Just tell her to watch this with an open mind

I like your letter..clear cut and direct

Do I take it your sister disapproves?

I like your letter. Clear and to the point. I couldn't agree more.

Toni Level 4 Aug 10, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:386870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.