Agnostic.com

5 10

Entering a photo contest is a crapshoot. Sigh.

For several years, I entered mountain vistas in photo contests by nature conservation groups. crickets

"That's a beautiful photo!" my neighbor said, pointing to this photo of Pine Drop flower pods. A professional photographer, she was looking through my best hiking photos on my computer. "You should enlarge and frame it."

It's interesting to see the winning photos. A laughing small girl in a white dress in golden tall grass with sun shining through her long, blonde hair. An old tractor in a field with rolling green hills in the background. Raging waterfall and rapids in Icicle Gorge with the water's motion slowed by the camera. To me, those photos are clichés.

Based on my neighbor's praise, I entered the Pine Drop photo in the Cascadia.org photo contest in the nature category.

Early in the morning in December 2018, Karen and I snowshoed above Squilchuck State Park. It had snowed the night before, dawning a bright blue day.

Morning sun shone through Pine Drop flower pods, lit up like Chinese lanterns.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great photo!
Who knows what the judges were looking for?

I don’t know why everything has to be turned into a contest. An artistic expression is purely subjective.

Your picture is beautiful.

@WilliamFleming

Thank you!

Nice pics

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 15, 2019

any photo contest is a crapshoot because you don't know what else is entered

One also does not know who is doing the judging, or what their criteria are.

That is a very beautiful photo, Nicely captured

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much! Hugs.

your welcome

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.