Agnostic.com

15 0

Believers on buses

When you are on a bus and have your music playing(headphones in) but it can be heard slightly and a religious person decides to make their opinion heard(very loudly), what do you say to this? All I had on was hard rock, and she could hear the guitar through it not the words and she decided to get nosey and lecture me on my taste, I told her off for getting in my business. I'm just curious as to what you would say?

alistair 4 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"It appears you follow satan, because jesus is all inclusive and loves others, no matter what they listen to."

I would smugly say, “hmm, that’s interesting,” and continue listening at the same volume level.

Something like this " I have a really nasty and effective habit of minding my own business. You're just not qualified!" And they're dumbfounded.

I would have did the same thing. We have to deal with their religious, annoying worship music. Just freaking go be Amish and live the old way and separate yourself from the world. God damn!!!

What kind of guitar did Jesus play?

Well, I never wear headphones ... but if that happened to me, I would ask her (with a smile), why exactly she feels ok with telling others what they should, or shouldn't listen to ?

And how would she feel if someone lectured HER , without being asked ?!

P.s I knew she was a believer because she said rock is devil music and called me a heathen, just clarifying coz its been asked

Music and religion are usually unrelated, however I myself in a similar situation traveling from Florida to Indiana. It wasn't about music but I got hit with conspiracies tied to "why God is real" I had no choice but sit and listen in silence

Ignore the person.

Welcome to the site @alistair!

Regarding your question, she was definitely being rude because the genre of music is absolutely none of her business. And I would say something to that effect, "What I listen to is none of your business."

The only thing that she would be entitled potentially to request (politely in a normal tone) would be for you to turn down the volume a tad if it was disturbing her. I know you said it could be heard "slightly" - and if it was in fact only slightly, then such a request on her part would also be out of line. After all, it's a city bus, not the library.

Still, people have different ideas of volume - and piping metal (or any music actually) into your ears can affect your hearing, too (yeah, i use earbuds sometimes, too, but I've read warnings from ear doctors that this is causing premature hearing loss in our society). Point is, your idea of slightly might not be the same as hers - either because she has sharper hearing than average (I do, too) or you might have less.

My first thought was that you need a better set of earphones. That being said, I would probably tell her that it isn't against the law to listen to music on the bus, and if he/she didn't like my music to move or start carrying a set of ear plugs so they wouldn't be bothered.

I'd tell her, that she should read her bible... particularly the verse that says, "judge not, so that ye shall not be judged." and if she really believed in Christianity, she'd keep her judgements to herself... unless she want to prove herself to be a hypocrite. Then just be quiet. If she comes back at you, then just say, OK so you are proving your hypocrisy to everyone here... Thank you for proving the point.

The music I'm listening to is none of anyone's business. If they don't like it they can kiss my ass and go on somewhere.

First I'd try to act like I couldn't hear her over the music I was listening to.

If that doesn't work tell her to move if she doesn't like it.

PS...And this is for anyone on this forum who happens to be reading this. If you are the first person to post a comment on your own post, you take away someone else's chance to be the first poster and get double points, and that's kinda shitty.

Yes, quite true, but @alistair is brand new on the site and unlikely to have noticed the bonus notice when he tacked on his follow-up clarification. So it would have been preferable to have made this comment on a page of someone who has been here a bit longer and was still doing this. Better yet, post to start a thread about agnostic.com etiquette -- and include that as a first start-off suggestion.

Oh sorry, I'm new and dint read it

the music was by disturbed btw :3 just for some context

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.