Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Schools designed to foil mass shooters are the latest answer to Republican inaction on gun safety

If this isn't a head-in-sand reaction, I'm not sure what would be.

They're cutting down lines-of-sight in new schools to reduce casualties in future shootings -- shootings that, I guess, they've decided can't be avoided.

From the last line of the article -- '...it’s easier to change the way we build schools than it is to pass common sense gun safety laws'.

RichCC 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And those ‘lines of sight’ are what keep the kids safe/r ..as it allows staff to monitor aggressive or abusive behavior from afar.. Republicans make me sick.

Varn Level 8 Aug 25, 2019

That's a good point. How many bullies will be enabled because they now will have corners to trap their victims in?

Getting away with beating or molesting others is going to be a lot simpler and probably a lot more common.

Go figure, a typical Republican answer. That is to say, no answer.

Can you imagine one of self-styled teacher John Wayne vigilantes armed with their pistol come popping around a blind corner in the new building. They pop around the corner and come face to face with the first responders. But because hes not properly trained for confrontation, he snaps his pistol up and first responders have choice but take him down not knowing if hes an assailant or not. This is especially true if the teacher is a person of color.

Who will pay? They are so quick to enhance the rich but will give nothing anywhere else, especially education. BUT, since this isn't education, maybe they can call it security wall money.

Most schools were designed for education enhancement. Allowing more light (windows) in room, library and centralized locations are wide open. Unfortunately in today's world that means easier targets. Also, many of the high schools I taught in do not have the doors to the classroom lock from the inside. If your class is not locked and there is a shooter, you need to go out in the hall to lock the door with a key. Keeping the doors always locked create an atmosphere of interruption when kids are late or need to go to the bathroom, having them locked at all times is very inconvenient. We don't need to redesign schools for mass shootings. We need to stop/limit the shootings.

In the early 60s I went to 1st grade in extremely rural AZ and we actually had a locker where you could stash your gun while you were at class. The whole idea stank of a very different mentality -- the assumption that all people were your idea of rational -- that nobody would ever circumvent the system intending to shoot others.

Granted, some, especially Navajo and Hopi, kids got very late starts and were much older than what we expect of 1st graders. But still... Why would 1st graders have guns anyway -- let alone need to bring them to school?

I'm convinced that for a huge portion of people in this country, guns are part of what they are -- living without their weapon close at hand is unthinkable. It might make more sense to have a variation of that old Douglas Adams line about presidents -- no one who wants it should by any circumstance be allowed to have it. Anyone who thinks they want a gun should immediately be disqualified from ever owning one.

Guns are a tool with only one use -- to destroy things -- they have no positive purpose.

Morons!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:393418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.