Agnostic.com

1 0

How do Freshmen-Juniors in high school have so much money, when most of them don't work?

Back when I was in high school most schools were a closed campus. Now most of the high schools allow the kids to leave for lunch. I grew up being poor. We never ate out. (The reason I never do now) Now I see more teenagers with debit cards, $20's, and sometimes $100's. Most of them look too young to be employeed. Do parents just hand over money so the kids will disappear for a few hours? Are parents spoiling them with money? I always had to do chores for $5 a week. I learned to save up my money. I see the same group of Freshman boys come in 3x a day to eat out. 3x a day! Plus they all ask for water cups for their orders, water is always free. You have to get water out of our self-serve soda machine. (We aren't stupid, but we can't deny people of water. Everyone asks for water, thieves!)

What are parents teaching kids by being their personal ATM?

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew hoop poor too. Only difference was there were chores but they were expected, we didn't get paid for them. This was also back when babysitting could be done by any teenager. So most of my money came from there. I was and am a saver not a spender. I think the parents who just hand over money are robbing their kids from a good work ethic, which they'll need as adults. Jmho

I save all the time. I've saved so much that I have a shit-ton more than everyone at my place and at my work. I even make the least in hours there. I'm on Medicaid and can only do so many hours. Medicaid pays my rent though and medical bills. So my money from work is spending money.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.