Agnostic.com

4 6

What makes relationships last: the pessimistic view

For those of you who have been in a marriage or LTR and left/broke up because you grew a backbone, do you ever suspect the only reason anyone stayed with you for very long was BECAUSE you were such a convenient doormat?
Forgive me if this sounds whiney. All of my relationships up until very recently lasted multiple years and they always seemed to end when I asserted myself and my boundaries. I feel like I have finally"grown up" at nearly forty and now all my relationships end quickly. Again it always seems to happen when I say "up with this I will not put".
Thoughts?

OpposingOpposum 9 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps this is a little strange, but I find that sometimes a relationship lasts longer than it should because both of the people involved did not get past the dating part. Going out on dates and having fun is great but it alone is not enough for a lasting relationship. I have no idea how to figure this out other than having limits and keeping to them. Honesty, faithfulness, truth, compassion, there is much that needs to exist for a relationship to last. I once had a great re;lationship with a woman and I though we got along great, it took me 4 years to figure out that though she could very easily been the love of my life, we could not actually succcessfully live together. Boy did that hurt. Nothing ventureed nothing gained. What an experience as I went into a depression that lasted longer than the relationship. To this day I do not know if I had the information to figure this out sooner. Age does help, the older you get the less shit you are willing to put up with. This is good. Life is a journey for sure. Don't know what else to say.

Well. My parents were together 30 years. They figured out early that they couldn't live together but they made it work.

It makes me very sad to hear of these types of relationships . I have been married 59 years and there were difficult times but we worked together to solve them. One thing is we always trusted each other always kept separate checking accounts with both names on them and never criticised each others purchases. I loved boats she loved clothes and another degree They all worked for me She was always beautiful.

Unfortunately I think the majority of marriages are more like mine than yours, at least in my experience. I can count the number of "good couples" I've known in my 40 years without resorting to my toes.

One word... Friendship

Oh thank you,sooooper helpful.

@Blindbird Haha haha!

Haha

That is truly ashame

It's not you. It's not me. We are not doormats. Boundaries are good and healthy. Your relationships are ending quickly because you know you deserve better, and you're not going to waste your precious time on some guy who is looking for another mommy instead of an equal. (I'm projecting, feel free to tell me I'm way off base if you like.) We're doing what is good for us, and it's about damn time!

Thx!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.