Agnostic.com

6 1

Music Lyrics and bad grammer. Why do we allow lyrics to contain 'Idone', ' aint' got no', and other phrases that are grammatically wrong. No wonder so many students have horrible English grades. It's really not their fault.

pthomas59 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Allow"?!?
Who would be the arbiter of what "should" be correct?

Language is a "living", emergent characteristic of intellect and creativity. It takes both skill and imagination to divine nuance.

There's a big difference between the intentional, artful or (especially) poetic use of non-traditional grammar and a habitual, unintentional use of non-traditional grammar - out of ignorance or slothful attendance to norms. And there is much in our language which was, at one time, new and improper. English wasn't really even considered a distinct language until it was wrought into form by the Elizabethans, not the least of them one Will Shakespeare.

How would you feel if it were suggested there was only one proper way to paint a tree?

allow?

For that matter, why even allow poetry? Or all that crappy blank verse written by Shakespeare?

By the way, I actually do hate blank verse. 😛

I mean, why didn't Picasso just paint what he saw?
All those stupid unrealistic paintings of people with blocky cuboid forms etc ha ha

Freedom of expression, I think they call it.

Because it rhymes. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi but it really helps to look at the past, before the dictionary codified words (sometimes incorrectly) and other 'rules' were invented. The primary point of a language is to convey meaning. This can be done without a fervent adherance to rules.

all I got to say is doo wop wop wop...doo wop wop wop...hehe

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39578
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.