Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Support for Biden Is An Irresponsible Gamble With Our Future | Current Affairs

"Though the Democratic field is much larger this time around, Biden has played the role of establishment frontrunner the same way Hillary Clinton did in 2016: running as a standard-bearer for the status quo with the aim of offending as few elites as possible. And, as we saw four years ago, what passes for “pragmatic centrism” in Washington can often fail to galvanize the voters—particularly in swing states—that Democrats need to capture the presidency. Trying to apply the same formula again could very well end up guaranteeing Trump’s reelection.

Even putting aside his innumerable gaffes, flubs, and untruths, the substantive case for a Biden presidency is incredibly thin. He speaks in glittering generalities. He makes nostalgic appeals to a vague and idealized past where Washington elites cooperated and “got things done,” a habit which has found him praising segregationists on more than one occasion. In an era where millions of Americans are hurting, frustrated, and angry, his policy agenda is visibly and deliberately unambitious—eschewing big and transformative ideas in favor of minor technocratic fixes designed not to antagonize anyone with wealth or power. Biden said as much himself when he promised a room full of well-heeled donors in June he wouldn’t “demonize the rich,” adding that, were he to be elected president, “No one’s standard of living will change, nothing would fundamentally change.” The attack ads practically write themselves. He has also been blunt in telling millennials that he has “no empathy” for them and does not care about their problems, which raises the question of why a single one should come out and vote for him."

WilliamCharles 8 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only thing ppl should pay attention to are his record and his past statements to know where he's coming from and going to. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. And he flat out said He's willing to prostitute himself. case closed

Yup. Good viewpoint.

Anyone But Trump 2020!

If it were only that easy. Team Hillary thought that they could coast to her coronation with not much more than a "Not Trump!" platform, which was ironic as he was their handpicked Pied Piper.

I am firmly of the mindset that if DNC shenanigans foists another corporate centrist on their base, we'll likely wind up with a second term for the Cheeto Benito.

I concur. Well written summary. Despite his popularity in the black community ( the voting block he needs to succeed). I'm not convinced that that vote will carry over to the general elections. I think as you aptly pointed out, that his continued gaffes are going to wear thin with voters.

Thx. For the record, I was quoting directly from the piece.

"Joe Biden has a lot going for him, or so we’re told. He’s got a compelling personal story. He’s got experience. He’s got blue-collar, working class, Rust Belt appeal. He’s got policy solutions for America’s most urgent problems — oh, wait, he hasn’t announced any of those yet. Well, I’m sure he will soon. But even if he doesn’t, it shouldn’t matter, because by far the biggest boon to Joe Biden’s prospects for winning the Democratic nomination is not any personal trait, resume point, or policy position of Joe Biden’s. Rather, it’s the insufferable weakness of the Democratic primary electorate."

[duedissidence.com]

He's polling well, though. 🙂

[unsubscribedmedia.com]

1of5 Level 8 Aug 30, 2019

I consider his "support" a mile wide and an inch deep. Name recognition counts for quite a bit at this stage.

MSDNC is continually fluffing Biden in unbelievably ridiculous ways. "Let Joe be Joe" and "voters are drawn to to his warmth and likeability like an old sweater." They know Joe sucks and try to prop him up as being the "old and familiar." When you're devoid of substance, you resort to this sort of sophistry.

@WilliamCharles knew I should have popped the title in. I'll correct that.

@1of5

I think it's remarkably idiotic to put so much credence into the polls at this stage anyway. Because of the various ways bias creeps in, or how they're interpreted, there's a lot of using them to unjustifiably support a particular narrative.

@WilliamCharles I only pay attention to them out of curiosity at this point. The campaign is waaaaaay to long.

@1of5

Too long indeed. And the horse race aspects of it are insulting.

@WilliamCharles sometimes I wish it were a horse race. We could send them to the glue factory and at least get something for them

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:395852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.