Agnostic.com

6 2

I think I've lost hope of ever being in love again. My last marriage ended in divorce over infidelity and now it is hard for me to trust anyone. I also believe that it's very hard to bring two individuals with different backgrounds and belief systems together to communicate harmoniously, and after a series of arguments it's hard to bounce back and truly feel like you love that person. What do you think?

Lita 5 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had the same experience. When I had a chance, or summoned the courage to look back, I realized that I had been in denial. Took me a while to work through it. My experiences with the death of loved ones and loss of relationships has cemented my view that there is usually very little difference in their effect on us, both cause us to grieve. It's healthy to take the time to recover before moving on.

Different backgrounds/belief systems can be harmonious as long as they are based on similar moral ground.

I see trust being earned over time through shared experiences, each willing to give 100%. It may sound strange but I think we have to trust, love, and know ourselves (at least be really comfortable in our own skin), before we can truely love others and give that 100%.

• Kirk
kirkz Level 5 Apr 23, 2018

Relationships must be based on trust and that takes time and shared experiences. Neither of which is possible until you meet someone. With that in mind, hello my name is Jim

I don't judge women l meet based on failed realationships of the past, otherwise I would have given up in my 20's. That would have made for an incredibly dull life. I would have missed out on knowing some terrific women. To think all serious relationships are meant to last a lifetime is kind of naive. People live longer and there is more outside influence that may change the way they think about what they want in life. It seems to me the life long marriage is based on religious doctrine which people on this site don't believe in anyway. I hear people on this site always blaming their partner for the failure of their realationships without looking at how they may have contributed to it's failure. I know l have made mistakes in my realationships. Sometimes it was ignoring signs that should have kept me from getting involved in the first place.

After divorcing my wife of 30 years for infidelity I dated a lot women I met online. I really never got involved with anybody ,most likely as you state ,it's hard to bounce back, and I became too judgemental of the women I met. I actually find now that it's bettter to be friends with a woman than in a relationship, we go out somewhere, there's isn't any arguements , hurt feelings and power struggles.

I can totally understand. My last relationship ended because of infidelity too and I don't feel like I can trust anyone one again or even open myself like I opened myself up with my ex. I don't know what the answer is... also from my personal experience having different belief systems doesn't work but some people do make that work. I'm sorry I don't think I really answered your questions except to say that I understand ?

I would have to agree that certain kinds of philosophical differences would be very unlikely to be overcome. They might be sort of ignored for a time, but like a bad penny, they would keep appearing over and over again.
I know for myself I would have a very difficult time becoming involved with someone that was particularly religious or "spiritual" even. It would rapidly become a sore point and involve matters more significant than mere opinion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.