Agnostic.com

3 5

Over 3.3 million American women say the first time they had sex was rape.

This is horrifying and no surprise.

"The study’s author, Laura Hawks, a research fellow at Cambridge Health Alliance, told NPR that the number — one in 16 women, or an estimated 3.3 million women nationwide — is likely “just the tip of the iceberg.”

"The study, which included 13,310 American women ages 18 to 44, looked at data from the National Survey of Family Growth, an annual survey conducted by the CDC, which asks women about their first sexual experience, among other questions.

“You can imagine that if we asked this of women of all ages, the absolute number would be many millions higher,” Hawks said."

"The study is full of distressing details, including the finding that the average age of the women at the time of their assault was reported as 15. The average age of their partner or assailant was reported as 27 — which, Hawks noted, suggests a “major power discrepancy.”

"More than 26 percent of women said they were physically threatened during the encounter, and 46 percent said they were physically held down. Fifty-six percent of women said they were verbally pressured into having sex, while 16 percent of women said their partner threatened to end the relationship if they didn’t have sex."

[thecut.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aweful. I sympathize with a man's sexual frustration, but cannot understand how violence is erotic. It has the opposite affect on me; though I'm aware its common.

Never happened with me,but it could be true

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 17, 2019

Man we suck

1of5 Level 8 Sep 17, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.