Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Not everybody wants thoughts and prayers after a disaster - CNN

Nonreligious people were willing to pay about $1.66 to avoid a prayer from a priest and more than double that price at $3.54 to avoid one from a Christian stranger.

Easily explained: we'll pay you to actually do something instead of just thinking about it. The discrepancy in what whe'd pay a priest? We expect nothing of them anyways, and don't like filling thier coffers.

1of5 8 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I loved the time Wolf Blitzer was interviewing a disaster survivor and said something about god sparing her, and her reply was, “I’m an atheist. Don’t believe that!” Speechless Wolf.

An offer of thoughts and prayers is nothing more than a simple expression of sympathy and support. IMO if such expressions seem offensive the offended parties are having irrational thoughts. Perhaps they are insecure in their unbelief, or they are thinking that they’ll be swamped in a sea of believers.

You could carry along a baseball bat and if anybody offers thoughts and prayers or utters the g-word you could hit’em upside the head. That oughta teach’em to keep their damn mouths shut.

A bit rough, after all they may not mean it. LOL

Excately. Its nothing, does nothing, means nothing, accomplishes nothing except make the speaker feel good about tthemselves, and expressed to the nonreligious can be a bit insulting.

You make me kinda wish I had a bat right now. 😉

When the famous earthquake of Lisbon struck, the practical prime minister of Portugal at the time was Sebastião de Melo 1st Marquis of Pombal. The church, and especially the monks of the inquisition, said that the quake was a punishment from god, and that the Marquis should enforce days of fasting and prayer. He refused and said. "First I must bury the dead and feed the living." Never thought much of Marquises in general, but always kind of liked him.

Leave it to the church to grab a disaster and turn it into victim shaming.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.