Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK A Life of Pretending: Being Egyptian and Atheist - Quillette

I applaud any Egyptian brave enough to come out as atheist. Me? I couldn't live there, uh uh. I'd become suicidal.

Egyptian media has reflected this deep-seated outrage, addressing atheism as an affliction brought on by a blend of corrupting Western influences and religious ignorance. The two extremes of the latter, according to state media and its cheerleaders, are personified by the militant Islamists of the Islamic State and the Muslim Brotherhood on one hand, and atheists on the other. To fight it, the state has launched a ‘war on atheism’ – an ambitious five-year plan that included the publicizing of nonreligion’s rapacious effects on society, the training of imams to ‘cure’ it, and even a special task force to arrest atheists who are active online.

Yeah that's going to get rid of religious terrorism – by making it taboo to question religion. 🙄 Why's Egypt fucked up again?

Ahmed Harqan, who had become one of Egypt’s better known atheists online, appear[ed] in a series of unprecedented televised debates. In one such appearance, Harqan recalled his Salafi past, explained the intellectual roots of his own doubts, and claimed that Egyptians aren’t given the space to think critically about religion. Still more insultingly, he argued that the acts of ISIS and Boko Haram aren’t all that different to those of the Prophet and his companions.

Yeah, sounds sensible ...

Not long after one of these shows, an angry mob attacked Harqan, not sparing his pregnant wife. Both escaped with minor injuries, but the unborn child was lost. Upon reporting the incident at the police station, the officers found them worthy of further harassment, after which they were briefly imprisoned. That was their cue to go into hiding, where they remain today. D'oh! 😡

They even police what you eat: Sherin, questioned about her vegetarianism on the grounds that God made the killing of animals halal, replies that she simply doesn’t feel like eating meat. Rather than articulate her personal concern for animal well-being, she does what atheists are forced to do daily – she self-censors.

It's a very interesting, insightful article. We can only hope the unbelief grows and grows ...

A century ago, Egyptian atheist ‘Abd al Rahman Badawi described the same feeling: ‘‘[Atheism] is, actually, the natural result of the life of those who did their best to be believers. There remained nothing further to be done.”

altschmerz 9 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I met an atheist shopkeeper in Egypt and spent many hours discussing Religion and the corrupt Egyptian government with him, he was vocal about his beliefs and lost his life to a so called "street mugging" which I have my doubts about. I will never understand the mindset of those who take the life of another because they do share the same beliefs. I wonder if for some that religion is just the excuse they need to satisfy their blood lust and quell their insecurities.

ukuwi Level 3 Nov 10, 2019

Horrible. I'd still be in the closet

Muslim dominated countries are as fucked as christian dominated countries and any other religious dominated country, they all suck, they all do bat shit crazy stuff, religions are to blame

If there "god" had such great qualities, there would be no need to try to force that god upon others . . . . If food is good, people buy it, if a house is good, people buy it, but if something is bad, it must be forced upon people . . . rather than them taking it up on their own.

I can’t imagine living like that! I Hope reason will prevail someday. It will probably take a long time but maybe I’m wrong!

As usual it's really about leaders who use religion to justify their corruption. If one questions the religion one questions the leader. We are headed in that direction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.