Agnostic.com

27 10

LINK Do You Hate God? | The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser

I had to share this because I’ve seen this topic broached here before. Religious people can’t get it through their noggins that we don’t BELIEVE in God, to hate him.

I love this blogger btw. He was a fire-and-brimstone preacher most of his life (his life story is very interesting) and became an atheist in his 50s, which shows us that there’s always hope. And since he’s an ex-preacher, he’s dangerous, because he knows what he’s talking about.

My hatred is reserved for certain aspects of some religions. Since I live in the United States, my experience has primarily been with the Christian religion, especially the Evangelical form of Christianity. While I think the essence of Christianity can provide value and substance for some people — even in our modern, scientific world — I am convinced that twenty-first-century Christianity is so far afield from its original intent that it has ceased to be Christianity at all. How does the Christianity of today, in any of its various forms, remotely resemble the teachings and faith of Jesus, the poor, itinerant do-gooder of first-century Palestine.

To be fair there are some churches that do manage to justify their existence, doing good for a lot of people, but unfortunately that brand of Christianity is not prevalent in the American political sphere at this time. Seems to me that when any religious group is the majority, in any country, it’s the WORST version of that religion that is represented in the government overall.

altschmerz 9 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God is irrelevant, it is god experts that I hate

Thanks for the link.

While I don't 'hate' 'God' (there are very few things I 'hate' ), I do dislike it intensely.

Think of all the waste that would be eliminated If the imaginary entity were to vanish from people's minds.
Maybe folks would devote themselves to doing genuine-good works rather than posturing to sort-of-good works. Maybe some people would anyway.

Moore
Beautiful dragons
A dragon was my first major sculpture in sand. Made a living from sandsculpture for 45 years. A dragon is an image for me for imagination, if there is anything Godlike, it is imagination.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:408261
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.