Agnostic.com

3 0

Respect for the/a Flag: How best to proceed?

As a sort of follow up post, I was wanting to get some thoughts on saluting/respect of flags. It can be controversial - such as when people kneel instead, despite it being a form of respect.
How stringent are these rules of etiquette? Does every country do this?
I found this little discussion that seemed interesting - I hadn't realized it was a written code of conduct.
Doesn't the same go for proper management of flags? I've heard that you're technically not supposed to wear it because that's considered disrespect, along with allowing one to fray/be out in the elements, not have light shone on it at night, & disposal is conducted a certain way. I know sometimes things are urban myths or just misunderstood, so figured it would be good to tap into peer experts & just have an intriguing discussion overall.

Decieven 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What respect I had for the flag has taken a siesta over the last year. Whenever people are forced to “respect” something the opposite happens and the symbol become one representing tyranny.

gearl Level 8 Mar 21, 2018

I agree with George Carlin on this one:
"Flags are merely symbols, and symbols are for the symbol minded."
A bit like religion actually!

I'm sure there are other countries that do all that, but it all looks quite strange from a European point of view - not weird as such, just alien.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 21, 2018

Because, in the UK at least, we don't revere our flag like you Americans. In fact, we see it as a right-wing Nationalist symbol most of the time. Almost nobody had a flag flying outside their home, and only skinheads and neo-Nazis carry flags...

@Decieven It's just not something we do. We don't have the flag on display in classrooms, nor in workplaces and we don't have all those rules and regulations as to how the flag should be treated and respected - having not grown up with all that, a flag is just a piece of cloth to me.

@Wageslave It may just be a piece of cloth to me, but I refuse to associate it with those scumbags - I'm not giving them the satisfaction of claiming it as their own!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.