Agnostic.com

7 1

Agnostics Qs

Why was the concept of God created?

Mane 3 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We try to make meaning of things. Like how we and world exists, for instance. And we run with it.Hence god has all the foibles of humans.Judgy, pissy, looking for attention, demanding it even, thinking it knows it all etc

When bullies are not big enough and strong enough to get their own way themselves, they threaten people with their big brothers, and when that does not work, they invent even bigger brothers.

A likely hypothesis is that the concept of God was created by leaders to gain more control over subjects. Turns out the shit is a virus that infects children through the evolutionary adaptation of listening to parents warning or you die to the worlds dangers.

It was an early attempt at weather forecasting.

But seriously I think it started as an attempt to explain things. Of course it was soon learned that fear of God could be useful.

Whao!

To explain the concomitantly incomprehensible to simply and gullible people and then to use that explanation to extort them.

Allegory to explain the world.

I think the old storytellers had fun amusing people by making up supernatural beings that could do wondrous things. Children, excitable and gullible took the stories for truth as they were repeated around campfires down through the generations. We have the same thing today. There’s Superman et al.

There is a philosophical “god” that is impossible to define but is sometimes referred to as ultimate reality, nature, etc. Here’s Albert Einstein:

"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations."
[deism.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.