Agnostic.com

9 1

What opinions does anybody have about how this planet is divided up into nation states; how might things improve if humanity had no national boundaries?

Wageslave 4 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So what would happen to different cultures and languages? What group and system would govern? How would the natural resources from the different areas be allocated? The UN can't manage all the problems of the different tribes and too much diversity is tearing many countries apart. Such a one nation pllanet would be a mess and probably boring. We ould still have the problem of overpopulation, though.

I don't think that cultures or languages would be negatively impacted merely because a heretofore artificial line has been erased...in fact, I think that people such as the Kurds, Roma populations, and the Royhinga people (spelling?) may even benefit from being more geographically and politically unconstrained.
As for who would govern, I think that it is high time for true democracy to reign instead of moneyed elites to buy their way to power. Local resources should probably be decided by local people, whilst globally needed resources by global committees for instance.
The UN is a toothless tiger that makes generalizations in deference to the idividual power elites that really decide what hapens on this planet.
I would like your sources on how "a one nation planet will be a mess and probably boring" please. Ditto for the overpopulation aside.

No borders, no privilege. No chance it'll happen. People will never be able to get together and take power under the current circumstances. Our current governments operate in a way that ensures that their citizens are divided especially with our two party system in the US. Our religions are even worse as they play a role in the problems of our governments and most demand their flock not only divide, but conquer.

Reminds me of a song. Imagine by John Lennon. But religion has a 2000 year head start. We meed to create a "church of science" for a lack of a better term to counter the religious right wing political minority. Until we educate our young to think beyond the church teaching we will have divisions of countries, races, people.

It all began and continues with control and power over others. My gut says if we merge into one society, one group will have more control and more power over the whole planet and everyone on it.

I think that you will find that, originally, we all WERE one society, and that the greed and bullying tactics of a minority altered the situation, resulting in the society that wehave today.

@Wageslave From what I can make out there were numerous stages in human evolution, many before homo sapiens and that there were many species (16 identified so far) in the genus homo, . There was no clearly defined step that made us homo sapiens instead it was a lot of small variations in different groups. The early days were family clusters, then tribes and so forth. I cannot see any point in time where there would have been a single global human society. The larger groups were formed by the more powerful taking over the lesser aggregating continually. Just look at the United States, The Commonwealth of Australia, The European Union, The Soviet Union. The earlier empires. Britain was tribal originally, Romans came and left, the Anglo Saxons came and were almost completely conquered by the Danes, when they got rid of the Danes they gradually merged the 7 Saxon kingdoms. After a few more invasions back and forth across the channel we ended up with the Empire upon which the sun never set.

it could be so much better if we all worked for the common good with no barriers, physical and imaginary and treated each other as equals. take what we need and not what we want like an ant colony.

I don't think it would help us escape the Tragedy of the Commons, where shared resources lead to inequalities because not all users use resources to the same extent or in the same fashion.
[en.wikipedia.org]

cava Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

Cava, your cherry-picked example of the Tragedy of the Commons, is a poor example. Firstly, this is merely an unsubstantiated opinion put forward as a 'hypothetical' reason, never observed in real life. Secondly, it would obviously fail as an isolated experiment within a competing paradigm! In a society where ALL resources were open to all, and where people merely took what they need for daily existance ( as opposed to building a store of wealth at everyone elses expense,) it would work just fine.
Particularly if Big Olga was keeping an eye on grazing times!

@Wageslave No it is a theory, which has some explanatory power, unlike your unlikely scenario.

I work at the basic community level, community gardens get raided continuously, immature produce even whole plants get taken, I visited a nearby town yesterday, the night before whole bunches of bananas were cut down and taken. Our community pantry opens at 10 am, people are there at 7-30 so as to have the first pick of what is there and argue that we have limits on how many of an item one person can have. Human behavior sucks.

@Cava "many examples have existed and still do exist where members of a community with access to a common resource co-operate or regulate to exploit those resources prudently without collapse.[4][5]"
From the source that YOU (Cava) quoted

@Wageslave The tragedy of the Common is a explanation of use of the Commons it can be positive or negative, however it is predominately negative in regards to your 'topic' as all of human history has taught us.

I do think that nationalism is the most dangerous 'ism' on the planet...however, we are naturally territorial...so a true communism would have to be achieved...and, I am not fond of that on a personal level...nationalism also gives us a way to lower population levels in a 'moderately acceptable' way...war....would hate to think how we would have to lower population without it...

Ah, yes, war...SO acceptable!
We actually have the resources to accommodate 10 to 15 billion people on this planet, if only we were to organize things a little better...

@Wageslave Yes, it is. We are top of the food chain. Our other option is to take a lower place on the food chain. I would rather battle it out among ourselves, then have something bigger meaner and nastier pluck me for vittles. How long do you think it would be before we achieved population overload without war? I would hate who we would have to be to eliminate war. First, you couldn't have discourse. Couldn't have arguments. Any form of aggression. Maybe if we were cows...do cows fight? I honestly don't know....haha

I think we would have already colonised Mars and other planets.

Jagga Level 4 Mar 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.