Agnostic.com

2 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I might start a hoe & Pitchfork business.

Isn’t it too early to take such a drastic step? We are all complicit—we all use fossil fuels. You can not rationally place all the blame on just a few. Revolution means destruction and death. Destroy the infrastructure and means of production and billions might die.

Far better IMO would be to invest in new technologies that actually address the problem—that is, if there really is a problem. These weather events that arouse such fear, they’ve been occurring forever. The US was actually hotter during the twenties and thirties than it is today, at least in many places.

I think we need to step back and take a deep breath. The earth’s temperature is only increasing 0.13C/decade. At that rate we can easily adapt as we go.

It’s not really about blame; it’s about cause and effect.

People like me who are not climate scientists have to rely on the opinions of others on this issue. The propaganda in this conflict is coming from two primary sources, as far as I can discern; climate scientists, and oil companies. It’s not hard for me to see why oil companies might be motivated to skew the facts, but no one has yet been able to offer a plausible explanation as to why 97% of independent climate scientists would be motivated to distort the facts, all in unison. Until someone can shed some light on that, my trust is going to the scientists.

@Allamanda For myself, I am a hundred times more afraid of a violent revolution than I am afraid of the climate.

@WilliamFleming
I don’t know if you read the article, but for the record neither the writer nor I recommend violence.

@ToolGuy According to official satellite measurements the earth’s temperature has been rising at the rate of 0.13C/decade since 1979 when the system was initiated. The increase does not appear to be exponential, rather it is more or less linear. With rising temperatures it is inevitable that records will be set, but that means nothing. Of course records will be set as the temperature rises. If temperatures were falling we’d be seeing record lows. It’s just mathematics and is nothing to be alarmed about.

Before launching a bloody revolution I think we should check back in about twenty years and see what’s happening. 0.26C would not be enough rise in average temperature to even be noticed.

@skado I did read it. I did not see a call for violence, however there is some volatile language in there. Things could easily get out of hand.

I am relieved that you are not recommending violence. I feel better. I hold your opinions in high esteem, even if we disagree on some issues

@WilliamFleming
Thanks, and same to you. No, I think Hedges sees things pretty realistically and feels a need to call it like he sees it but he strongly advocates against violence, as do I. He thinks that the sooner we acknowledge the bitter facts of our current situation the more likely we will be able to avoid violence, so he doesn’t soften his language when describing the state of things as he sees them. I don’t know if he has assessed things accurately or not but my best guess is that he’s not far off.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:411400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.