Agnostic.com

37 8

Why do they worship?

Even if I buy into their delusion for a minute that there exists an all powerful entity that is answer to everything they don't understand and more. My concern is what purpose does the praying, singing and the rest serve if this entity is so great. To summarise, why do they need to praise the 'Lord'?

DSGavde 6 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because they are brainwashed morons?

We have the personality type of sheep. All responses are fear based. Add a suppressed society and submission is guaranteed. Even those who question are still inside our mental matrix, between our own reality and vision. The hook with prayer for example, included in our submissive trait which could be argued to be a social addiction, is what they are actually doing is actually meditating which is a benefit and addiction itself.

You will find this exact structure in all things. If there are strong beliefs, its because its based on a truth and then that truth is generally misinterpreted, tainted, twisted and manipulated which then people argue and deny the opinionated versions of events, which prevents any ability to discover the actual truth, as you unknowingly leave the topic and debate opinions of the event and not the event. Then thru frustration you then deny any association with the conversation. Which means you let your opinion or response to what the people say dictate your reasoning. Which is a characteristic of sheep who are an emotionally structured being. And humans are emotional beings without any comprehension on how that effects their reasoning and therefore choices. The end result, you throw the entire conversation out the door.

Back in the day we called that throwing the baby out with the bath water...the tub was dirty for a reason...the tub had water in it for a reason...start there, opinion free.

If you enter any conversation knowing, it better not be opinion.

What it boils down to is fear of not earning eternal happiness, whether the alternative is going to hell or having no afterlife at all. when i was religious, i would have said something about how god is good and deserves praise, but... yeah. that’s what happens when you’re told the alternative is eternal hellfire.

Today they only use hell when all else fails. They call call it, saving you from jumping off a cliff.

If I accidentally fall off a cliff, do I go to hell also.

@Castlepaloma Maybe they need to know that cliffs are actually real and they would stop using them.

We are born with two natural fears.
Loud sounds and Falling.

Since Christainity is really about fear, they want to give an illusion of us falling into to hell.

Social bonding.

That's all I have ever seen it to be

It's what they are taught to do from childhood.

Yeah, that's a sticking point. I finally concluded it didn't matter and quit doing it. Haven't been struck by lightening yet...

This is a very good question for me to explain once again why IamNot Atheist neither Agnostic. IamApatheist. Meaning...why do they praise the Lord? I don't care. I don't even want to know. IamNot interested. It doesn't matter to me what others believe. That's their business, not mine. I don't even want to know why are you interested. Again, my response is an attempt to explain how I feel about it. It has nothing to do with you. Your question is fine. You want to know. I don't. This idea seems difficult to grasp for many people. I have been down this discussion before.

Boy, you sure have a lot to say about how uninterested you are in the subject.

@UpsideDownAgain That's actually a pretty accurate comment.

If you could watch the congregation you would notice that they move slowly and methodically -- almost like they are hypnotized. It is remarkedly like a bunch of cows all standing, chewing their cud and looking at a passing train. They are in the zone (religions call it the Holy Spirit). I call it being in the herd. They cannot define what the feeling is when they are in the zone. Often repeated phrases usually are the catalysts for this. Why do they worship? There is a deep seated need to be part of a herd -- whether religious, sports, a corporation, a political party, etc. Rising above the herd is very hard and often leads to amoralism.

Interesting take. It's funny that they can switch off their capacity to think whilst gathered in a herd but are perfectly capable in every other walk of life.

Self therapy!

Deity - : one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful
such established American deities as Daniel Boone, Kit Carson
— J. D. Hart
the deities of the banking world

[merriam-webster.com]

The historic Town of Kit Carson is a Statutory Town in Cheyenne County, Colorado, United States. The population was 233 at the 2010 United States Census. The town was named in honor of frontiersman Christopher Houston "Kit" Carson. Wikipedia

Superman's Hometown
Metropolis, Illinois

Metropolis is the the "Hometown of Superman," celebrating its local hero every possible way it can. The local bank is "home of super financial services." The town newspaper calls itself The Planet. A sign in the grocery store informs customers: "Just as Superman stands for truth, justice and the American Way, Food World stands for quality, convenience and friendly service."

It is just so unbelievable that people would worship such deities as naming towns after deities or claiming the towns as the "hometown" of deities.

And that doesnt even get into the Harry Potter deity worship of people just throwing money at movies and books in worship of Harry Potter god. Just unbelievable what these theist worshipers will do.

Word Level 8 Oct 13, 2019

It's just what they do. Cultural practices and ritual are pretty impossible to decode really. I expect it all comes from a mix of human intuition as to what we "need" to do to show the appropriate reverence, or our level of humility in something larger than us... or something we do to fit in because everyone else says it's what we're supposed to do.

But really... if you can empathize with their position... if you can put yourself in the shoes of someone who actually believes there is a higher power... It is purely natural to make every attempt to ingratiate oneself to this force, or to make sure you remain in good standing with the power. You did it with your parents at age 2, without a second thought. When they scolded you, you changed your behavior. These behaviors are quite human, and pro-social. "Make friends with those who are strong." Simple as that. The same as sacrificing goats or virgins... they are all attempts at remaining on the "good side" of those in power...and to ingratiate oneself and win favors. Worship is Brown-nosing in it's highest form.

In modern society and sociology, some writers have commented on the ways that people no longer simply worship recognised deities, but also (or instead) worship consumer brands,[15] sports teams, and other people (celebrities).[16] Sociology therefore extends this argument to suggest outside of a religion worship is a process whereby society worships itself, as a form of self-valorization and self-preservation.[17] wikipedia

Word Level 8 Oct 13, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.