Agnostic.com

1 0

QUESTION Brain preservation is a step closer, but how could it ever be ‘you’? | Sue Blackmore | Opinion | The Guardian

They used a pig’s brain, which was perfused with lethal glutaraldehyde before being frozen at –135C, a method called aldehyde-stabilised cryopreservation (ASC). This process kills any chance of the brain being brought to life again, but they won because when the treated brain was warmed up again its connectome – the brain’s wiring diagram – was amazingly well preserved. In fact it was so well preserved that even the fine ultrastructural details of dendritic spine synapses could still be seen with a 3D electron microscope. This means potentially 150 trillion connections, all of which may be implicated in storing memory.

A human brain treated this way could never be brought back to life. Yet all its preserved information could potentially be uploaded into an artificial or virtual body indistinguishable from the previously living one – like “uploading a person’s mind” after a long wait. Would this then be “you”?

zblaze 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OK, long way to go,
but if say an electronic brain dulpicated every bit if information in your own brain, and it functioed properly, had your thoughts, wishes, dreams memories, everything you think then yes, it would be you /me.

Wouldn't it be who you 'were', not who you 'are' though?

@zblaze yes, I guess, it would be who I was at the moment of death, hmmm, then I suppose it depends on input from that point on and whether the artificial brain processes it in the same way.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.