Agnostic.com

9 3

Life is constantly throwing bad news at us.

1. What regular practice do you use to manage your emotional economy?
  2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate its success?
skado 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use to be pretty good at ignoring the worst of it, literally just in my own little world of happy thoughts.
When health issues cropped up these past few years I found myself more impacted by the negative and sometimes horrible things out in the real world and very sad.
Comedy surely helps, connecting if only via the internet (like this site) and avoiding most of the day to day news cycle. I do not find it necessary to monitor all the stuff happening in WA DC and how it impacts the world.
Thinking happy thoughts makes a big difference, so working at thinking happy thoughts AND watching cute cat videos raises my spirits.
Scale? We don't need no stinkin' scale - movie reference. What movie? 🙂

badges!

@skado Indeed

Medication (Sertraline), comedy, chatting with friends here.

Success? Well, I'm still alive and not in the loony bin.

I practice Rational Behavior Therapy, a creation of Dr. Maxie Maultsby Jr. In a nutshell, it’s not bad news that causes mental pain—it’s what we THINK ABOUT the bad news that hurts us. Emotions follow thoughts. That is because our subconscious minds have no discrimination, taking input information to be valid and true. If you continually feed lies into your subconscious mind you are in for a life of fear, anger, pain, loneliness, depression, poor health and early death.

Our default state is joyous bliss and ecstasy. You really have to work hard to screw things up.

Rating 10!

The image goes well with the question.

I like these.

1. I have tried hard to be very pragmatic and not emotional for the past few decades
  2. I do not like fairy tales, romance movies or crying. I like drama, adventure and documentaries
  3. I always analyze what happened, if I could have done better at the situation and the lessons learned for the future
  4. I move quickly and never brood over anything
  5. I think I have done 7 to 8 on the scale of 10

There, I gave the whole game away.

Always took the stoic view, that if you expect the worst, life will always turn out better than you expected. I usually assume a very bleak outlook and life seems good. Only disappointed optimists fall into Cynicism and depression. I also remember that there is little profit for anyone in telling you good news, in order to sell you something you have to be persuaded that you have a need or are under threat, therefore all the media and all advertising are trying to distort your world view to the negative. Therefore remember that for every bit of bad news you see reported there are twenty bigger good bits that don't get mentioned.

@Allamanda Simple. Man dies of heart attack in street, equals news story in the papers next day. Yesterday the local hospital saved the lives of twenty heart attack victims, just as it does on average every day. Who would report that.

Also see my second comment on this post above, they are quite long videos, and not the one I was looking for, (will keep trying) but I think you will find them rewarding.

I guess by how much I pay attention. the effectiveness can vary but I'd say about a six or seven usually.

Manage it? Hahaha hahaha

Works great. 😉

1of5 Level 8 Oct 21, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.