Agnostic.com

5 1

Does democracy need capitalism?

Capitalism can thrive in authoritarian (Chile under Pinochet or China today) or democratic societies, but democracies (at least liberal, or "full" democracies , not the pseudo variety like Russia) seem to need capitalism in order to thrive.

After all, I do not know of any (full) democracy that is not capitalistic, be it the more welfare state oriented system as in Europe or the free market capitalism as in the USA.
Is this a mere coincidence or does democracy need some version of capitalism in order to function?

(NB: I am talking about big societies, not small communities like the Israelian kibbuz or religious or secular communes, which are mostly egalitarian and democratic without being profit-oriented)

Matias 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thinking in basic terms and without labels, if someone has something she doesn’t want it seems that she should be able to trade for something she does want. If I create some desirable and needed merchandise I should be able to trade off that merchandise if I want to. Trading is deeply ingrained human behavior. Capitalism is basically about private ownership and trading, so I can see where capitalism and democracy would go hand in hand.

If government is going to own everything and control production by force of arms, then I would see that as authoritarian and dictatorial by necessity.

Many people have come to think that they deserve and have a right to a comfortable lifestyle, and lacking that lifestyle they are dissatisfied and aggrieved and seek societal reforms through government action. They would get better results by directing their efforts toward creating goods and services and joining in the market.

Some unfortunate people have nothing to trade and, because of some problem, are unable to produce. Certainly well-managed social programs are needed, but in an ultimate sense, those programs are supported by the productivity of individuals.

Capitalism needs Democracy to justify its control, and keep the mobs away from the gates. But Democracy has no inherent need for Capitalism.

Capitalism doesn't need democracy, we know because china exists.

There is an interesting coorelation between the type of governance and the availability of resources, water in particular. When resources are abundant, societies tend to be democratic and when they are scarce society tends to be autocratic. Likewise, having an abundance allows for greater specialization thus enabling a capitalistic system.

Capitalism could be thought of as a collection of mini autocracies that cooperate. Each of these hierarchies manages a different resource making independent choices, however decision that effect the entire group are best if managed jointly.

These two systems compliment each other, one provides freedom the other structure. As long as scarcity exists, some form of structured distribution will be required. If resources were made virtually limitless, then all resources ought to be equal and all thing decided democratically.

Of course it does, I cannot think of any circumstance where democracy doesn’t work without an economic drive wheel. I am of course open to being informed.

Democracy is about people but sometimes it doesn’t seem like tha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416988
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.