Agnostic.com

7 11

Replaced another zipper slider & pull. It's easy.

Zippy de do da!
Zippy de day!
I replaced a zipper slide
In 10 minutes today!

Thank you to the member who said I can buy specific sizes of YKK zipper slider/pulls online.

On my favorite vest for hiking, the zipper slider broke- where the pull attaches- like it did on three jackets. I found the size for women's jackets (YKK #5) online. Much cheaper than fabric stores.

Didn't need to use the sewing machine this time. Just a needle and black thread. Used a seam ripper to pull out the end stop, and remove top-stitching to free the zipper end at the neck.

This the fourth one I replaced. It feels great to rescue a beloved garment from the landfill.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Weird place to see this but nice

I need to do this on a few of my jackets. The slide I could do but I don't have the skills for the whole zipper.

@TrailRider

You need to remove top stitching on the jacket to free the top end of the zipper. The end of the zipper is folded under and stitched down. Use a seam ripper to carefully remove enough stitching to free the zipper at the top.

After replacing the slider/pull, you can use a needle and thread to replace the top-stitching.

Be sure to fold down the zipper and top-stitch like it was originally.

@TrailRider

Columbia jackets now have plastic end stops, heated and melted into the fabric. Cut the damn thing off, leaving as much zipper fabric as possible.

You can tuck the zipper end under the topstitching.

Sounds like this little project will end with me setting it on fire and walking away.😂

@TrailRider

It just takes patience. Look it up on YouTube. "How to replace a zipper slider and pull."

Easy as 1 2 3. I've done it a few times.

There ya go! Good work!

When you wash them, zip them closed first (same with trousers)

@moosepucky

With a safety pin, pin the zipper pull to the jacket before washing or drying.

The zipper pull gets stuck in crevices and holes in the dryer and gets yanked off.

@LiterateHiker

You must have a "zipper destroyer" brand dryer.

I've never had this happen to me.

@moosepucky

One of the zipper slider/pulls I replaced was on a girlfriend's jacket.

I also read on a forum that manufactures put cheap, flimsy zippers in women's clothing.

@LiterateHiker what are you doing buying womans clothing? Outdoor items should be bought for their quality not gender.

@moosepucky

Men's clothing does not come in my size or shape.

@moosepucky

You must not wash your jackets very often. Phew!

Many men's jackets stink from old sweat and lack of washing.

@LiterateHiker

I commend you on your size and shape but would recommend you buy men's outdoor wear if you are having problems with women's outdoor clothing.

Better to look a little frumpy in the woods than classy in poorly made outdoor wear.

@moosepucky

Men's clothing does not fit me.

With increasing obesity in America (90% of men and 65% of women), it's hard to find small sizes in clothing.

I have trouble finding narrow shoes, boots and hiking boots, too.

Happy you made a good score 🙂

Cool good work

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 27, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.