Agnostic.com

9 4

I see a lot of posts and polls about people coming out as non believers. I guess I don't understand, never had issues with this.
I don't know if I am isolated enough, live where this is more accepted, or some combination of that. I have never been asked by my boss/coworker/friends what church I go to etc.
My family could give a shit about what I do or don't believe, although I do have one Christian sister that has suggested I find some peace in my life with God.
Outside of seeing it posted here, I have never come across the kind of blatant discrimination or harsh judgment from others about my non beliefs.
It is kind of sad to think that this is such and issue in this day and age.
Does anyone have a similar experience as I do? Do your friends/family/community just accept you as you are?
Am I just an outlier?

Akfishlady 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where you live may make a considerable difference; "There are more churches, per capita, in 'Dixie', than in any other region of the US." (A quote from a show on cable about facts surrounding the southeastern states.) Along with more churches, the politics as well, lean heavily toward conservative values. My nephew recently told me I was going to hell because I turned away from God. It goes without saying that, finally, someone at a church quilting ministry asked me what church I go to. That got the whole room involved!

I have a similar experience with my family. my parents are devout Catholics and would probably prefer that I come back to the fold but they make no issue of it.In other areas with people not of my family I don't get a lot of flack because I have been trained to blandly stare at people with odd beliefs and nod my head thus not eliciting defensive angry responses

In my case, no - because I live in a very secular society. In your case, I suspect that as an intelligent, educated scientist, you move in circles mostly populated by people of above-average intelligence who are open to different ideas.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

You are very lucky. I have had friendships end been ignored by family and rejected by community. There are still many people to be enlighted

Most places I have worked, the word Jesus has come up in someones vocabulary and not as in "Oh Jesus" or "Jesus that is ......" More in a biblical sense.

I would say you are pretty fortunate .... so far. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before a devout Christian goes full fire and brimstone on you.

@Akfishlady I feel I have to relate a story.

My sister who is deeply religious got wind of the fact I am an atheist and don't go to church. At some point she decided to confront me in her kitchen, rattling off all the arguments about eyewitness accounts (there aren't any), the wonder of the universe being proof of the Abrahamic God's existence.

I wasn't prepared for this onslaught. I just stood there slack-jawed. Mostly I was dumbfounded that my sister, whom I had regarded as pretty intelligent had bought so whole-heartedly into these dumb arguments. But she thought I had no response and she had won the argument. When I still refused to go to church with her, she stopped speaking to me for a few months.

Now, we just avoid the issue with the snide comment slipping through now and again.

So, like I said .... it's likely just a matter of time and when you least expect it.

I hope you are ready for it and have more fun with it than I did.

Not an issue for me, I live in So Cal where pretty much nobody bothers or cares about that stuff enough to confront you.

Me either

No, you're not an outlier, but probably are in the minority. I think probably most atheists are deconverts, and many of those have (to put it very nicely) "devout" relatives, or live in the Bible Belt where there's a ton of social signaling around what church you go to and so forth, from both relatives and emploiyers.

Like you, I've been quite fortunate, I can't say that it's ever been an issue -- despite that I'm a deconvert from Christian fundamentalism. My family is just one of those rare fundy families that knows how to mind its own business. Also, my parents are gone and I only have 1 of 2 surviving siblings still in the faith anyway.

I live in a very liberal enclave in the northeast, not the Bible Belt.

I'm an independent contractor, and have never had a client be so unprofessional as to ask me about my (lack of) faith. To be on the safe side, I don't discuss it with them either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42018
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.