Agnostic.com

3 2

QUESTION Rapture, Tribulation, and the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO)

This happened to me when I was about 6 years old. I was terrified that I'd been bad somehow and missed the rapture 😮 😟 The fear of missing out definitely applied then.

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a sense, anything that's marketed to you leverages FOMO. "Buy today! Operators are waiting! Call in the next five minutes and get a second one for free!"

And of course it uses FOMO, because we're hyper-social creatures who dread losing social reciprocity. Religious faith offers group belonging in exchange for belief, and threatens group exclusion if you don't believe. Including the ultimate group exclusion: eternal perdition.

The sooner it happens the better lol

Rofl

Well I certainly had it drilled into me that there was going to be a rapture. Jesus was coming back to earth to take the chosen with him. That I needed to be prepared. So ever time that hymn Just As I Am fired up, I was encouraged by parents and siblings to trudge up to the alter to be proactive and ensure I would be ready by getting saved over and over. Frankly I was petrified to go to the alter because I had no feeling about it or sense of doing something that I knew to be true and correct. I was just following instructions.

I grew up the same

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42157
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.