Agnostic.com

3 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is an interesting article, rather pessimistic and despairing. That “American Dream” concept is an invention. There is a good basis for the idea regarding immigrants, but the average American I think has never been swept up in such an idealistic idea.

If you look at actual consumption of goods and services as measured by GDP per capita, the standard of living has been steadily rising forever.

[tradingeconomics.com]

In general we have more to eat, better housing, more and better clothing, better health care, and critically, many many more entertainment options than in earlier years. The more we have the more we want. Compare life today with life in 1950 and you’ll see what I mean.

I contend that with thought and self-discipline almost anyone can get by. The value of life is not measured by consumer goods.

the good life. maybe that's also a dream.

I am not American so shouldn’t really comment but it seems to me the heteronormative, 2.4 children middle America was sold pretty well in the 50’s by Hollywood and the advertising media.

The 1998 film Pleasantville is a superb critique of the culture of the time.

hypnotism.

The American Dream, when it was sold to America, didn’t exist. It never will exist.

Best to deal with the deflated and misplaced youth of America, who are striving in their sub-cultures for things they will never achieve, now, and give them a realistic hope for the future, or the walls will come tumbling down, to quote Paul Weller, sooner than the political will can congratulate itself for its continued support of the 1%.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.