Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Veteran’s Day — a celebration of peace becomes a sacrament of war

"When I enlisted, and every time I re-enlisted afterward, I took this oath to “protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

It’s a pro forma exercise, or the entire military would have to go on strike — because in Vietnam, Guatemala, Grenada, El Salvador, Colombia, Peru, Somalia, and Haiti . . . others can chime in from Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria . . . I never met a single enemy of the Constitution of the United States. In every single instance, I had one small role or another in prosecuting wars against poor people.

November 11th was originally a celebration of the end of war — WWI specifically — and it was celebrated by pacifists for that very reason. I wish we could do that now, and maybe use the day to reflect on the curse, the malignancy, the abomination of war and remember its victims . . . most of whom are not combatants at all. Like an international day of contrition."

WilliamCharles 8 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

William, I read your post and wanted to know if life and war are forever joined. Having read that large and strong cyanobacteria engulfed (ate) smaller and weaker cyanobacteria, I searched on whether it is the first known form of life. The reply: yes.

Have you seen Smedley Butler’s book, titled if I recall, War is a Racket?

Yes. Always like linking it as well. The entire publication is online.

[ratical.org]

@WilliamCharles Have you read of the 1933 attempt to get Butler to lead veterans to overthrow FDR? It’s in Wikipedia under “business plot”.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:425146
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.