Agnostic.com

16 15

Spouses Who Have This 1 View of Their Partner are Twice as Happy in Life

"Those whose spouse or partner is also considered their best friend get almost twice as much additional life satisfaction from marriage or cohabitation as do others --- even when controlling for pre-marital well-being levels.

The scientists controlled for age, gender, income, health status, and previous life satisfaction.

A best friend has your back. A best friend supports your dreams. A best friend is someone you can call anytime, anywhere, without feeling like they'll resent you for it. They're the person you put as an emergency contact and the first person you think about when something wonderful happens at work.

They know all your quirks (and love you anyway). They can challenge you in deep ways because they know the ins and outs of your psyche (and love you anyway). They're the kind of person who'll make soup and draw you a bath when you're sick, even if they're busy, because they genuinely want you to feel better.

If you're looking for a way to examine the status of your current or future romantic relationship, it's probably wise to keep this in mind."

[inc.com]

The study is linked in the article. As I've always said on this forum when posters have asked what's the most important thing you're looking for in a partner' --- it's friendship -- a best friend.

"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages." - Friedrich Nietzsche

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

...for me, F.F.A.........friends first always

My husband and I are best friends, and we have been married for 22 years. I don't know if it works for everyone else, but it certainly has worked for us.

i knew it! which is the reason why i'd first have to become friends with a man i consider becoming my partner - it doesn't work the other way around for me.

Yup

"They can challenge you in deep ways because they know the ins and outs of your psyche (and love you anyway)."

We recently had a discussion on loyalty. My partner let me know her loyality was limited and setting boundaries is important for both in a relationship. You have an obligation to take care of yourself first. Best friend part is correct and I would have it no other way. Even though we were polar opposites on personality we were 95% aligned on beliefs about life.
Thaks for quoting Nietzche.

This points out my biggest mistake; I didn't marry my best friend.

I'm a believer. My husband and I met as coworkers, became friends and then lovers ... ultimately, married and were business partners. The hardest part is, when he died, I felt his loss on so many planes. Overwhelming, but I don't regret a bit of it.

@VictoriaNotes Thank you, Victoria. We were married for a little over ten years.

When you said, this one view of your spouse I honestly thought it the view was going to be them walking out the door with packed suitcases.

I dunno...if Nietzsche's statement is true, I've divorced two 'best friends'.

The f/m relationship that has eluded me so far and that I search for still is the one where we are both each other's shoulder to cry on.

I totally get that. I have recently decided (accepted?) that my "picker" has been broken from birth. 😟

Yes, tis the best possible world with a friend to share it with.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

For sure

I can't agree more.

Gert Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

supports what I have thought all along

My wife is my best friend, we have each other's back; we have been married 33 years so know each other well.

My girlfriend is my best friend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.