Agnostic.com

2 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If we are speaking off the cuff as opposed to giving a rehearsed speech...it is natural to have some “ums” and “ahs”, as we are thinking as we speak, as this article says. If it’s a conversation or debate we are engaged in, and not a monologue, then I should think it would be impossible not to give ourselves thinking or response time by umming and ahhing. I think professional speakers, which is really what this article refers to, are in a different category altogether because they are paid to be fluent and amusing and are usually engaged as after dinner speakers purely on that basis.

I don't speak well at all, which is why I much prefer the keyboard.

My main problem with speaking is knowing when to shut up.

@Tomfoolery33 Hahaha, many are like that, but I much prefer to be quiet & listen. I mix up words, get tongue-tied, mispronounce & just generally do not like talking.....even though I'm female.....hahahaha.
I also have a throat issue where if I talk too much, I get a very sore throat, & lose my voice, & it takes hours to settle it back down. The joys of chemo drying out my mucous membranes permanently.

@Lilac-Jade That's too bad.

@Tomfoolery33 It is what it is, & I am over 14 years past cancer.

@Lilac-Jade That's good then!

@Tomfoolery33 Yup, still breathin'....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:426073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.