Agnostic.com

7 3

"I'm spiritual not religious"

Spirituality is a word that has been watered down so much it seems to have lost any real meaning other than desribing an emotional state of being. The 2 words--spiritual & emotional--are interchangable. Do you find this to be true?

Tmchale 3 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks to all for thoughtful feedback. I appreciate the comments.

Not really. Emotionality is a response. My understanding of spirituality is an internal recognition of a deeper level of being that cannot be identified.

I don’t think the two words are always interchangeable, and I don’t think that spirituality is completely described as an emotion. You can be filled with murderous rage. That’s an emotion but isn’t spiritual.

In addition to emotions, I think that spirituality is accompanied by deep awareness and appreciation, where appreciation is to understand the value.. The resulting emotions, such as a feeling of reverence, are just byproducts.

Also, IMO belief and disbelief are both nothing but value judgments—emotions. To be totally mystified and bewildered—there’s an emotional side to that response, but it seems to me the most appropriate response to our situation as consciously aware beings.

Yeah and I'm a drunk but I'm not an alcoholic.

A lot of people on this site define it as, a feeling of awe in the face of nature. Which is a fairly specific emotion.

Personally if someone tells me they are spiritual, I wonder what they will taste like, blended with some soda and a dash of lime.

Pretty much

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 16, 2019

I think spirituality is very subjective, with a different meaning to different people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:427237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.