Agnostic.com

7 2

Evangelism and Redemption

I read an analysis a while ago that put forward the idea that because some evangelistic or fundamentalist Christians believe you can genuinely be forgiven for your sins (while on this Earth), it actually makes it easier to act in an immoral way, because you can have it all washed away next Sunday.

Does this analysis have any validity?

tsjames 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely and it reminds me of a joke in the "Atheists Bible".

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized the Lord doesn't work that way. So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

So many serious topics (I am as guilty as anyone else for this) so I will try and add a little levity whenever I can.

This kind of believer, of which there are many, have it made. They have a devil to blame for tempting them and a savior to wipe it all away. And, they have the audacity to say that atheists deny god because they don't want to be held responsible for their actions...smh.

I believe your right. Ive heard some preachers say that god will turn his back on you. I havent read that for an individual. He did blast Sodom and Gomorrah to hell and back. Sent a flood. Were suppose to believe that were descendants from Noah. Allowed Satan to screw a guy up to see if he would denounce god. Whew... hard to follow some of this stuff. So i dont.

An atheist has to answer for his own transgressions and he can take credit for his own proper actions. An evangelist has to give his triumphs to god and blame the devil for his transgressions. It makes it much more appealing for an evangelical to do wrong and lie. Roy Moore isn’t guilty because unlike Al Franken he doesn’t admit to what he did. He’s a Christian and would NEVER lie!

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Yes. I had pretty much come to the same conclusions on my own without redign associated studies on the subject, but just through my own observations.

Sin or bad behavior that can be easily dismissed through confession, which in turn allows the person to feel that they are actully a good person, makes the acts of doing wrong much less serious in the minds of the religious... at least in terms of themselves. They do tend to gossip about other church members doing wrong, which I believe in mostly motivated by theri wantign to point attention away from themselves and tehir own wrong doings. Thsi is pretty dysfunctional as far as tryign to get peopel to do right adn behave in any "moral" way.

Whereas, the atheist, in order to maintain a good view of themselves, and think of themselves as a good person, has to choose to do the right thing, a lot more oftee than religious persons.

So, the theory that religious peopel are more "moral" is "just a theory" that does not actually work in actual practice.

When I was studying sociology, a part of which is criminology, I learned the the main reson why people don't break laws is NOT fear of punishment or loss of freedom. but rather It is a fear of being told by those they care about that they are not good people and generally disappointing the people they love and care about.

So, the idea of eternal damnation is not really all that motivating, especially with the easy out of confession and forgiveness, that is so easily and readily accepted by family and friends.

Religion as a business that dwells on forgiveness! There isn't anything called religious redemption because there isn't anyone to give it! It is just something the church sells to gratify their existence.
If you fell you have sinned it is up to you to make it right if possible. The only one who can forgive you is who you have wronged.

@ogtirof that is the only comment necessary, lol, you get to drop the mic 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.