Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Maryland father allegedly gave son with suicidal thoughts a shotgun: 'Just do it'

Wow media. Since when is getting a whooping abuse? 3 times? JUST 3 times? I got my butt whooped many a time and turned out okay. Apparently the very powerful law of self preservation won the battle and the father is crudely justified. I think there might be a "coming out" story underneath this. What say you?

IAJO163 8 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's a big difference between getting a spanking with a belt and "...his father beat him with a belt 20 times each." Like maybe across his entire backside? More like an actual whipping? Especially if he beat the kid with the buckle, which in this case I would think that might be likely.

I wonder if most people in my generation (gen X) disagree with physical punishments as I do. I get the impression most Boomers think it's no big deal, and actually should be used.

Sparingly. Households with multiple children being raised in an influential urban setting that don't dish out a whooping now and then become quite chaotic.

@IAJO163 At what point do you think that becomes ineffective and just fosters contempt? Essentially, at what age?

@bingst 5 kids 4 boys 1 girl in a gang infested neighborhood. Dad worked two jobs and was hardly there but he was a good man and a little physical discipline insured that his rules would be followed in his absence because my mother couldn't enforce them. In a bad environment he could be proud that none of his children served any time in prison which was something that happened frequently. I had only one child and didn't have to whip him but twice in his entire life. The environment was different for him. For me, I was taught to think before I acted and I've been thinking ever since, hence where I am today.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.