Agnostic.com

9 0

Skeptic Or Cynic ?

I was recently called a cynic and I had to consider my stance.

What I have observed is this:

I am a skeptic when being told that something is true; I need evidence, something that can be demonstrated.

However, I AM a cynic when I see how blind faith leads so many astray, especially into the arms of those who will prey upon them.

I can't help but be intolerant of the surrender of reason and trust to anything. I question all authority and mock those who insist that we must bow to something -- whether it be a "holy" text, dogmatic ideas, a leader or tradition.

In fact, I find myself getting quite vehement in those cases.

Where do you feel you are regarding these terms?

Are there more accurate terms for how you are exploring things?

z0000 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always seen a skeptic as what you have defined someone that needs evidence to believe something. Whereas, I have always compared cynicism to being a pessimist of sorts, people who have no faith in humanity or think nothing is really worth it because we all die in the end.

Skeptic. I can be and often am cynical in my observations when pressed by some would-be angel, but as a person, I'm not. I'm also prone to being a bit toxic and sarcastic when it gets to be a bit much. I try to avoid such confrontations whenever possible, but get militant as all hell when they start moving on politics, education, and law.

i'm neither.
But i do use them in my writing to make a point when needed.

semantics will drive you nuts. realist for me

I've wondered this about myself before.
At first, I didn't want to accept that I'm a cynic, but I've learned to embrace it
I'm still a skeptic too.

Both

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

I guess I would qualify as being both.

I'm very much a skeptic and a cynic. I don't accept any claim at face value, needing evidence. And when it comes to people's motivations, I think there's a lot of self-interest, even much of the time when people feel their motives are genuine and pure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.