Agnostic.com

20 3

What an atheist or agnostic like yourself would do if you live in a Muslim country that legalizes your death as a punishment for being atheist or agnostic?

We the agonists and atheists of Arab world are accused of being rude and offensive because we reveal who we are, they tell us that we must shut up and never criticize religions, and as a result of that, some were killed, some were threatened and silenced, some use fake names, and some had to flee the Muslim countries (just like I did).
It is shocking that some western agnostics and atheists agree with silencers and recommend the same, I want them to answer this question maybe we can learn from them what can we do in that case?

Yousif-Altimimi 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would flee as fast as I could. No questions asked.

I've wondered what I would do in this situation many times. Would I be true to my beliefs and endanger my life? What about my family? If that culture is all I knew how would that change my decision? For me this is all just a thought experiment but to those living it... With the current xenophobic, racist and anti-immigrant climate in many parts of the world I don't know if it's possible but maybe some kind of underground railroad?

it's a scary thought.. how do we know what we would do?

What all persecuted people (who don't choose to leave) do. Practice self-preservation, do what little you can to encourage tolerance, hope for a brighter future/change of regime.

Immigration ???? and that is my dream

The problem is that in a large part of the Arab world, there is no distinction between religious and political power; as long as those remain intertwined, there can never be freedom of thought and religion.

Now, as for how to change things, this is a completely different issue. If the people who think differently like atheists all move away from there, then there will not be any change. On the other hand, not leaving and speaking openly may and will lead a lot of people to jail, abuse, torture and/or even death. This is quite a tricky situation, just imagine: if Nelson Mandela wasn't jailed and didn't stay in jail for over 20 years for being outspoken against racial discrimination, if he fled to another country, do you think that the Apartheid government of South Africa would have ended up falling? At the same time, we don't wish what happened to Nelson Mandela on anyone. In other words, you could say that martyrs change the world, but who want to be that martyr?

MarcO Level 5 Nov 25, 2017

Iran is actually much more open-minded in many aspects than Saudi Arabia - did you know that, in Iran, the government pays for sex change surgery? As for terrorism, from the other side, it's Saudi Arabia that uses its armies to maintain cruel dictatorships and monarchies around them (and don't forget almost every 9/11 terrorist were Saudis, there wasn't a single Iranian in the lot); the only difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia is that Saudi Arabia are bastards that give money and intel to countries of the NATO so we don't criticize them openly too much, while Iran are the bastards on the side of Russia.

So as not to risk torture or death, I'd just play along with the status quo, and make plans to leave. An exception to this would be to stay and effect change IF I was in an influential and public position to do so. Example: taking a child bride in India is now considered rape. (Someone pls correct me if I'm citing this incorrectly.) Certainly, that took the influence of liberal-minded, forward-thinking people to help change such a barbaric practice.

Keep my head down leave if I could if not the joy of absence of faith is you don't have to worry about being punished by the dude in the sky for being hypocritical.

definitely I'd panic and then I'd leave and then I'd help to topple said govt.

I wouldnt reveal my beliefs and would try to exit the country ASAP

Realize I lived in a primitive, regressive society and leave as soon as I could.

Try like he'll to leave.

I would leave. Nobody should live in fear of persecution or death for having free thought.

Bebel Level 4 Nov 19, 2017

I'm sure there are many who perform the rituals and keep their thoughts to themselves and avoid ritual when they can.

mzee Level 7 Nov 19, 2017

Run like hell... however it is that a hell would run...

I would not criticise you or condemn you if you left the country. If you stayed and took on passive resistance techniques, I would support you. It is your choice in a difficult situation. I hope that you are enjoying life in your new surroundings.

Move out of that place! There's no way I'd continue to support that country if that was going to be how they chose to be!

Personally I would leave, and find a better place to live. I would not continue to support the country with my production or money. Fuck em.

When you say that "some Western agnostics and atheists agree with silencers," what exactly do you mean? I've no doubt that you have good examples of that - there are often distressing cases in history of privileged members of a marginalized group failing to assist far more persecuted members of their cohort. But without the specifics of that behavior in our own community, it is hard to know how to call it out or otherwise respond to it.

that puzzles me too. I am sure I don't understand that statement

some Western agnostics and atheists tell us, why talk while u can walk. telling us to not open our mouth and just live the life these Muslim countries force us to live, why making efforts to even peacefully stand up against the Islamic ideology, calling us extremists for being outspoken.
That's what I meant.

I'd leave as soon as I was able. I respect those who would stay and risk their lives for the sake of social and political change, but I'm not eager to be tortured to death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4324
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.