Agnostic.com

5 0

What is the moral of the story?

Old timers meet up at the local coffee shop and talk about things that has happened since the last time they met for a cup or they share memories of their long since over war stories. Some things have not changed for 1000s of years.

Wheither it is telling yesterday's events of drama or some early tribal campfire story telling, there is most often some point to the story. What the point of these stories often make is that something happened, there was an outcome and it explains how things worked out . These stories would explain what went right or what went wrong to bring about the outcome. As people sit around campfires or coffee shops telling their stories they get more and more understanding about contrasts of thing working out right or wrong. As early campfire types of people shared more stories their general conceptual understanding of rights and wrongs grew or developed.

Often these stores can be give a general synopsis for the main point of the story called a principle. The principles often considered a wise saying or proverb.

Instead of memorizing a lot of stores a person can learn a general principle and often apply it it various different situations. The more stories a person hears or the more personal experiences a person has, the more principles they can develop. These principles can be easily passed on to others with out telling the full story.

The next phase that would develop, perhaps in conjunction with the size of the tribe growth, would be rule making. Prior to writing these would be verbal and could be developed from the stories, the principles and/or those having the most influence or control of the group. Eventually, as writing becomes learned, rules get written down and become called more so, a law, as we now see in large complex societies. Just to note: Rules and laws are more so branched in connection to the tree of knowledge of good and evil for they can be made up with or without principle.

This really only explains half of the generally accepted definition of moral as listed below in #1. With moral definitions often includes both "rights and wrong" along with "good and bad(evil)".

Perhaps in another post I would discuss the "good and bad(evil)" conceptual understanding development that is the other half of most definitions of moral. "Right and wrong" and "good and evil" are extremely synonymous, often used interchangeably, but still have distinctive and developmental differences.

(From Google search)
Moral

1. concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.
    "the moral dimensions of medical intervention"
    Similar:
    virtuous
    good
    righteous
    upright
    upstanding
    high-minded
    right-minded
    principled
    proper
    honorable
    honest
    just
    noble
    incorruptible
    scrupulous
    respectable
    decent
    irreproachable
    truthful
    law-abiding
    clean-living
    chaste
    pure
    blameless
    sinless
    Opposite:
    immoral
    bad
    dishonorable
    concerned with or derived from the code of interpersonal behavior that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society.
    "an individual's ambitions may get out of step with the general moral code"
    Similar:
    ethical
    social
    behavioral
    to do with right and wrong
    examining the nature of ethics and the foundations of good and bad character and conduct.
    "moral philosophers"
  2. holding or manifesting high principles for proper conduct.
    "he prides himself on being a highly moral and ethical person"
    noun
    noun: moral; plural noun: morals

3. a lesson, especially one concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience.
    "the moral of this story was that one must see the beauty in what one has"
    Similar:
    lesson
    significance
    signification
    import
    point
    precept
    teaching

4. a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.
    "the corruption of public morals"

Word 8 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The "moral of the story" is the "principle" that keeps the "point" of the story short.

Word Level 8 Nov 30, 2019

Is this going to be a long story? Get to the point, I'm not getting any younger here.

Moral: Omit needless words.

TL;DR

Moral: brevity is your friend

1of5 Level 8 Nov 29, 2019

Principle shortens the long story for brevity.

@blahblah living up to your screen name, kudos.

I’ve heard them in the morning, people looking for meaning, then discussing mundane events in hopes they’d found some..

We remain competitive organisms, if having surrounded ourselves with communal restrictions limiting our methods of acquisition and providing a modicum of shelter and security. We’re new to this, and though often surrounded, quite alone.

Varn Level 8 Nov 29, 2019

@evidentialist Here is a recent new discussion I have started. As it appears to me you have a lot of interest in the topic of morals and ethics. I can appreciate that and don't see anything wrong with the interest as I myself have interest in the topic as well. However, it would seem you have a different point of view on the topic and for that I do not specifically see anything wrong with it. Now, as you have shared your thinking that my observations on the topic are totally wrong, I would like to extend a third invitation for any specific comments on any specific details that you would specifically find wrong with my observations from your point of view. I can understand from different points of view somethings are seen obviously differently or somethings not seen at all.

I would be glad to hear comments, even from an opposing point of view, that you would care to share. Understanding, grammar, syntax, spelling, typos or sins of ad hominem fallacy are not of my interest or request.

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Word Level 8 Nov 29, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:432481
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.