Agnostic.com

8 14

An Avalanche Survivor Tells Her Story.

On snowshoes, today Karen and I hiked steeply up to Clara and Marion Lakes to look for my lost gloves. They were buried under 3-4 feet of snow. It was windy, snowing and cold. I chose to change into dry clothes and eat instead of digging in the snow.

Descending, we met Susan, 67, who downhill and backcountry skied 67 times last year. "You're my hero," I told her. She mentioned being badly injured in an avalanche in 2014. We asked her to tell us the story.

"We were backcountry skiing with a guide in Oregon," Susan said. "I had an airbag that I inflated right away. I stayed on top of the snow. Two men were killed. Both of my legs were broken with bones sticking out. My arm was broken with bones sticking out and multiple broken ribs. I was knocked out."

"The guide had a satellite phone. We were not wearing much because we were backcountry skiing. We had to spend the night in the snow. A Chinook helicopter dropped sleeping bags for us. Without the sleeping bags, we would have frozen to death."

"The next morning, rescuers arrived on backcountry skis with sleds. They skied in to us. We were dragged on sleds for 12 miles. The pain was horrible. Then 24 miles of being dragged on the sleds by snowmobiles."

"I'm not afraid of anything now," Susan said. "So much pain. I have survivor guilt about the men who died." She broke off. "Why did you say I'm your hero?"

"When I first saw you, your face was filled with happiness and peace," I replied.

"What a lovely thing to say!" Susan said and gave me a hug.

A large, sturdy German couple were hiking in the deep snow without traction, gloves or poles. I was amazed. "We're traveling around the United States," they said. "The highest lake is Lake Marion."

"You have a better map than I do!" I replied and laughed. "We never know which is the highest lake."

Descending, we discovered the German couple had built a small snowman beside the trail. We could tell because the snow was scooped with bare hands.

Karen and I had fun jazzing up the snowman. "Only use items on the ground," Karen said. "We can't harm living trees." I was happy to find a golden Northern Larch tree that had blown down with its needles still on the branches.

To my delight, I found the gloves in the bottom of my pack. Since I got snow in my pack today, I took everything out to dry.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see why you are calling the snow person a she, or it may be a man in a dress.

The German couple added the beard. We tried to turn it into a woman without removing their decorations.

Great story, and great job dressing that snow person! I had the same thought about supplies from the chopper, but I imagine that sleeping bag was the most cherished thing to her at the time, and lucky she lived to tell it.

@tinkercreek

Thank you, dear! Great minds think alike.

I assume the Chinook helicopter dropped more than sleeping bags. They needed warm clothes, tents, mattress pads, fire starter, stoves, fuel, food and medical supplies.

In many ways you are one of my heros. We are the same age. I used to be very out of doors oriented and athetically active. I grew up in the Rocky Mtns of Colorado. But over the last decade I have slowed down. I'm still teaching with no intention in retiring anytime soon and still being creative and innovative. Thats my claim to fame these days. Keep hiking and reporting back.

@11nick

Thank you so much!

Moral of the Story Avoid avalanches.

She sounds like a sturdy woman. This is mostly not an issue in Florida, I'm in greater danger of Premium Sunning myself to death.

@Stg-_Spanky

Types and causes of avalanches:

[conserve-energy-future.com]

That's fun. Good for you.

What an adventure! You meet some interesting people on your climbs!

Love the finished snow man,,She is one lucky woman to survive that avalanche but looks like she was prepared ,like you always well prepared , another super outing for you and the girls,,That is a lot of snow,,So very Happy you are living the life you want to

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:434729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.