Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Why isn't Christianity considered evil?

Good question, and a couple of interesting answers (though the spacing on the second one leaves something to be desired).

Peter S. Fosl is Professor of Philosophy and Chair at Transylvania University, and Richard Heck teaches at Brown University.

altschmerz 9 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

" Why isn't Christianity considered evil?"

because the vast majority of Christians know fuck all about their own religion, their holy book or their doctrine and dogmas.
The and the vast majority of none Christians today associate it only with Christmas, boring Sundays and school assemblies.

When the church was regularly burning, hanging and drowning people, administering local law, beating adulteress women in public and taxing the local populous on behalf of gawd, raping women and assaulting children, their opinion of these wretched clerical leaches, liches and letches was more fittingly derogatory

I understand the arguments espoused in the article and I agree with them. However I judge the degree of "evil" (when considered as the set of ultimately destructive choices or the framework by which those choices are valid) of a belief system by the actions it has contributed to or inspired. As such I think xtianity is both abhorrent ( the Inquisition) and wonderful ( Mother Theresa). There are very few belief systems which I would consider entirely evil - perhaps Nazism or Fascism in general. I also think that when measured using this paradigm capitalism is mostly evil. And xtianity is probably closer to being evil than good. But it's mostly just false and ignorant of empirical facts.

@altschmerz For the record I did have the gut reaction to say "It is fucking evil!!!"
But I try to resist and be thoughtful. 🙂

I think you’ll find Mother Theresa is it as squeaky clean as we are led to believe!

Some people do not recognize evil even though it is staring them in the face

I consider it evil, the way it's practiced by many (most)

It is. By me.

Ditto

I consider it evil.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:435085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.