Agnostic.com

26 3

What would civilization have looked like if humanimals had not invented religion?

Would it have been better or worse?

atheist 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know a lot of people think humanity would be leaps and bounds ahead without religion, but I think our imagination and those fables were necessary as we grew and our mental capacity increased, but our knowledge of the world remained quite limited. I think religion was a necessary consequence of our creative spirit.

@atheist Exactly. I'm thinking our survival hinged on our ability to think creatively, and religion was a symptom of that.

@resserts studies I've seen on primates, it seems that may be true.

Imagine a world where:
Science is advanced instead of supressed
Knowledge is held dear so things are written down and preserved instead of destroyed
Contraception is promoted instead being deemed immoral
Groups, Tribes, States, Nations and the entire civilization works toward solutions rather than assigning blame and going to war.
No Holocaust, No 9/11, No Crusades, No Witch Hunts, No Enquisition, etc., etc.

I tend to think we would be much better off.

@atheist still war but fewer of them I bet, especially fighting over a worthless patch of dirt that has no resources, just some ancient claim that it is holy or is promised by god.

Religion was just a step along the way. Man neede a way to explain the world around him, so he invented gods.

So, really, we'd have to assume that man went from seeing the world as chaos, to using science to give order to things. It would certainly have sped up our progress. So much of our history can be summed up as religious conflicts.

We'd probably be launching ships to the stars by now, if religion had not been invented. But that's just conjecture, more of a nice daydream than anything else.

Imagine - John Lennon

It would be more peaceful. Religion is the cause of most wars.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Idk because it didn't happen.

@atheist We wouldn't be divided into different groups or factions.

@atheist It's been doing the same thing since I got it. Lol, sitting on my window sill looking pretty.

@atheist We watched, "Suicide Squad" today for the 5th time since I bought it.

@atheist Lol, nope. Although he has to endure a strip show when I change my clothes. Lol.

@atheist He would be the only one smiling. Others would pay me to keep my clothes on.

@atheist Once someone told me to only wear a shirt and shorts to a public pool and not my one-piece swimming suit. I did.

@atheist I like it here more than on FB. 25 friends and I'm ignored on all my posts. I don't use it much anymore.

It would be better to don`t have religion.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

Even in the early stages of homo sapien existence (circa 80.000 years ago), when living like the pack animals, they were at awe and afraid of the ... now taken for granted ... nature's antics. The sun going down was scary, as it would get dark, another light (the moon) appearing. The wind, rain, thunder, lightning, fire and water .. all were an entity. Eventually,thousands upon thousands of years in passing there was a force that motivated these elements. Greek Mythology (Zeuss, Eros, Apollo, Hermes, Atlas) , to name a few. . Wodan ..Thor ..Odin in the Germanic Mythology .. the God that created the thunder. The Pagen world of superstition of blood sacrifices, but always the warrior human. Ancient beliefs eventually .. like the Hebrews ... centered around one God A God to be worshiped and feared, demanding absolute loyalty. The beginning of human behavior laws. The knowledge of being imminent .. unavoidable. Christianity believed in the resurrection, to ease the fear of death. So the Torah were created by scholars who preached morality and Moses presented them with the 10 Commandments. Basic rules that we still today are to embrace and I find nothing wrong with it. The downside of religion .. if organized .. is the absolute control over people, of financial gain by the institutions that preach love .. kindness .. forgiveness and other virtuous attributes .. but seek financial gain. Thus religion became a business a ritual, the exploitation of the human fear of death. Forgive me for being so wordy ..

I honestly don't think it would have been much different than it is now. Religion has always been a way of controlling the masses to get them to do what you want them to. Basically a way to get one set of people to feel superior to another. Without religion they would have turned to other forms of control.

@atheist it's really hard to say what would have been or could have been. I think there may always be those who want to control others. Keeping the masses ignorant and scared tends to keep people doing anything to feel safe.

Creative thinkers really had an advantage over the intelligent thinkers.

@atheist most intelligent people keep to themselves before due to the consequence of challenging beliefs while the creative find a way to express their thoughts and/or beliefs i.e priests in certain religions taking advantage

There are way to many variable to be able to imagine a probable outcome. A population, free of superstition may have earlier developed the scientific method and developed technology that would greatly increase the quality and longevity of human life for those that lived on the earth before our time and perhaps our ancestors understood the consequences of overpopulation and limited fossil resources and carbon dioxide loading and we could continue to benefiting from the progression of science and technology.

On the other hand, perhaps earlier generations with their machines and extended lifespans, may have by now decimated our fossil recourses leaving us in an grotesquely overpopulated and overheated (c02) world that is no longer capable of providing for an unsustainable population.

I feel like religion was the backbone of scientific discovery. If we never invented religion, likely we would still be in a tribal state hunting for ourselves and surviving to the next day. I doubt that would be a worse thing than what we have now since what we have now is kind of an upgraded version of tribal rivalry/cooperation. But it would probably be better since we’d have a lower population and wouldn’t need to be sedentary and wouldn’t have a reason to be sitting around or arguing about what’s going on with the food supply in another country like it was our business. Today, though, our problems kind of affect everyone, so why not go back to the old days? Why hinge a society only on cooperation than just making it to the next day? I say cut out the middle man.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

It's beginning to look as if there wouldn't have been a civilization without religion in the broad sense. Gobekli Tepi has changed everything.

We would probably reflecting back as we sit on Mars and recall when.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 26, 2018

There would be no way of knowing. You may as well ask what if we reproduced by mitosis, We simply did not come that way.
There is a good book on why this is not so,
The Illusion of God’s Presence - John C. Wathey
Lecture on;

I honestly have no idea.
It's likely we wouldn't have all the art and architecture created during the Renaissance.
I don't know if anything else would have fueled the same level of creativity that religion has.
Not saying it's necessarily a "good thing", but the beauty of the art created can't be denied.

Hmm. I'm not sure it would be that different besides us reaching tech advances sooner in the pre modern era. In other words we would be where we're at now, just sooner. Religion is credited for the arts but I'm sure art would still exist in a non religious world. And though religion is the cause of a lot of suffering, I'm convinced that something would take its place. Greed. Nationalism, and basic human fuckery may be encouraged by religion, but they certainly aren't dependent on religion for their existence.

We would be colonizing space and lifespan would exceed 200

@atheist Pretty damn sure remember 800 years were lost to the dark ages.

@atheist Yes that too, unfortunately

I would like to think that civilization would have reached a stage of development that will probably take at least another five hundred years to arrive at. Even if all religions vanished tomorrow there would be something equally absurd, if not more so, to replace them.

As others have said here, I believe we would be seeing much more advanced tech/science. People would be able to think more clearly and rationally without the psychological poison of religion. Surely, there will always be good & bad people in the world, but no religion would be a net positive. That goes to a large extent to governments as well.

@atheist Not if there was no government, at least as we know it. =] BWAHAHAHA! LOL!

Extreme anarchy, or technologically advanced.

Nope, all or nothing. People are stupid in mass amounts

Did you ever wonder if it was not "invented" by our ancestors but created by those "aliens" you crave so much and want so bad to see now?

@atheist okay.

It will psychologically be similar to the jarua tribe of andman nicobar island,who do not believe in religion and they have no diety.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

@atheist u may checked out about them they literally don't have a single spiritualistic view.

I don’t know if THAT is even possible - we go from IGNORANCE with its superstition that “progresses” into religion and then SCIENCE.

But there are societies that don’t just ‘reject’ god belief, but never had one and are simply ATHEIST - having always be without “A”, Godism “theism”...

You can investigate THOSE societies and postulate from there. But it takes GODISM/RELIGION to want to conquer the world, so we HAD to deal with those things...

Ungod Level 6 Mar 26, 2018

How would we know?

I think humans as a species are greedy self-important assholes and so it wouldn't really be much different.

Something akin to Star Trek TNG or equivalent.
It's not bad that we invented it, per se, it's bad that we stuck with it during and after the Renaissance

No, it was an explanatory tool until reason and science could take over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.