Agnostic.com

15 3

Smoking

How old were you when you started smoking (if you did) and did you stop at a certain moment, why and how old were you than. Or did you never start smoking, and why didn't you.

Gert 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i got into smoking from 16, revved up, so that at 18 i was a full-blown smoker. tried to quit 4 times or so, but never took hold, until....

6 years ago i had a major health scare, by which time i had already reduced my smoking to a third of what it used to be. i went to a hypnotherapist with the genuine intention to quit, & that was that - free at last 🙂

Congrats! Apparently a method that worked for you.

@Gert, i imagine it would work for anyone with the genuine intention. the woman who did it was confident about her method: should one start smoking again she offered to give it another go for free, an unlimited number of times. for that "guarantee" she charged a mind-boggling fee of $470 for the initial 60 minute hypno. i never went back & saved approx. $6,700 since then 🙂

@walklightly Well that's a lot of money that you now can spend on cigarettes or other methods. For the cheapest cigarettes it's $ 5.41 for a package of 20 you can buy 1,238 1/2 packages for $ 6,700, which is about 24,770 cigarettes. That's a lot.
Before I stopped in 1990 I smoked 1 package per 2 days, present price for a package in the Netherlands is € 6.70. I stopped in 1990, which is about 10,220 days ago. That is 5,110 packages, the present price that is € 34,237 = $42.095.31. Well, that's quite impressive to me. In the mean time my health benefits skyrocketed my lungs are quite healthy again (taking in account that the air quality in the US is not as good as it could be and is even getting worse under the inspiring leadership of Mr.T45).
Anyway, I did not need hypno, I just needed the realization that the tobacco controlled me, and I hate to be controlled by something or someone else than myself. That's why I made the first serious decision to stop. And it worked.

@walklightly By the way, this is not to annoy you. Just typing down a few thoughts. There is no way I would consider attacking you on what you replied. It is more: "Wow, did I save that?", but also: "Wow, how have I ever been able to pay for that since I was 12. Ok, tobacco was much cheaper than, but still ………

@Gert, i'm not annoyed; why would you even consider it? i was born a passive smoker, due to my father being a smoker, & in the colder climate of germany people didn't think twice about smoking indoors. my mother, who never touched a cigarette in her life, developed an emphysema. i have an emphysema. i used to be surrounded later in life by an artistic, rebellious & smoking mob. everyone was a pothead, & i never felt as though any of this was controlling me - ha! no excuses on my part, just some explanations. you seem to have been particularly lucky & determined.

@walklightly Good that you were not annoyed, as it was not meant that way. I considered it because some people are annoyed when someone talks about their addiction. And indeed, I have not ever felt that smoking was controlling me, until I realized that I was addicted. But I still thought that I could control it, by smoking less and stop slowly. That did not work for several times that I tried to stop that way. I had so many excuses available to sooth my unpleasant feeling that I had about smoking. A few years later I started to realize that it was not the addiction itself, but I started to realize that the cigarettes appeared to control me in stead of the other way around. Yes, that gave me some determination. Just stopping had shown that that was not enough. I needed to get rid of the controlling influence. I always hated when someone made me do things that I did not really want. After my eyes were opened stopping was pretty easy. But whatever, I don't judge people that smoke. In general I keep a little distance because of the smell, but that's all. Noting personal ever. Actually the same way that I don't judge religious people because they are addicted from child on still needing their shot of sermon every week.

@Gert, yes, the smell would keep me at a distance to smokers these days, not a moral high ground. i don't know where anyone else is at in her/his life, so who am i to judge?

Started when I was 12. I'm 32 and I still smoke. Tried 2 quit a few times...no advice...

Byrd Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Of course no advice. Advice doesn't work because you don't own that. You have to be ready to make that crucial decision yourself, that you're better off for whatever reason that works for you.

I never smoked. My grandma died from copd, my uncle died of copd, my grandpa died of copd, my dad died of lung cancer. That was all the reason I needed as a teenager to decide I'd never smoke.

Smart conclusion. This should be taught in school, with footage of a lot of people struggling for air.

Started around 16. My buddy had a convertible sports car and couldn't light his own cigs while driving with the top down, so I inverted myself into the passenger footwell and lit them for him. Next thing I knew, I was lighting up two.

I quit at around 28 by gradually tapering off.

You were still young than, it must have helped you to stay healthy.

@Gert I think I just thought it was "cool."

I started when I was about 13 and gave up about 30 years later when a surgeon told me I had a cancerous tumour. That was about 15 years ago and I havnt smoked since. Strangely I hate the smell now

I guess it's not so strange that you hate the smell. Actually it stinks! It gets not only in your clothes, it gets in your skin. You still smell when you just come from a shower. As a smoker I never realized that an never smelled that.

Never started. The Surgeon General came out with the first warning about the dangers of smoking when I was a little kid. I remember flushing my mother's cigarettes down the toilet around the age of 5 and telling her I didn't want her to die. She quit soon after.

You acted perfectly. Apparently your mother got the message.

I was about 10-11 and gave up many times for a day to 4 years but I'm now 13 years clear. I stopped because I was coughing to the point of passing out.

Hope it helped. Anyway, for what reason you did it, it's better late than never …… I guess.

I feel so much better

16-59. Quit 4 yrs ago this month

Respect.

Never thankfully, not tobaccoe, not dope, nothing. Except fish, meat etc.

Lucky guy, drink from plastic bottles? 😉 Just kidding!

Ever since is was 15.... 😟

The worst that I experience of smokers is that they really have a stinking aura-like bubble around them. When I'm at a register in the supermarket, I give my spot away and stay on a comfortable distance. But no judgement, I know how hard it is to stop, even at such a cost nowadays.

16 gave up been addicted to cigarettes and nicotine replacement things I was 25 packed them in 2 weeks ago . So two weeks nicotine free and I could kill at the momenc

Great. Did you really made decision to quit for a mentally strong reason, that keeps you from it and motivates you to keep on going? Realizing that it controlled me was an eye-opener and motivation to stop. I hate to be forced, I guess that's why I also stopped to be religious after so many years. It's an addiction too. Psychological, but still an addiction.

@Gert my son took me three years after he was born but also his mum splitting up with me made it easier way less stress in my life now

Started dabbling in smoking from 13 or so but seriously when I was 15/16 but I've not smoke cigarettes in over 2 years and weed for 100 days now. Reason? Health.

If you need cannabis for health issues there are way more means of taking it without smoking.

@Gert I know I make edibles too but I don't take thc at all as I get drug tested working on the railway and I don't need cannabis for medical reasons

Never did. Mom smoked and still does and she hacks up a lung on a regular basis. I loathe the smell and even the costs associated with it. I may sound like a d-bag, but I feel that smokers think they have the right to smoke wherever they want, but when they infringe on my right to clean air, we're going to have a problem.

You are right, but 50 years ago having the right to smoke was not an issue. Most people smoked and never regarded the needs of non-smokers. The worst of course is the tobacco industry that ads addicting chemicals to the tobacco and refuse to admit it, and keep doing it.

Dad smoked. I stole a Kent around age 13 and made myself sick smoking it.
I tried cigs again later, but it didn't last long.

I started smoking when I was about 12 years old, because it was way more normal than not smoking. It was conformation to the general trend. I stopped after 27 years when I was 39. I realized that tobacco had an addictive control over me and I realized that I did not want to be dependent of whatever. Maybe the same feeling that caused me to abandon religion, not wanting to be controlled by something that was planted in my brain. Also a kind of addiction. Not chemical, but psychological. I also mind to be controlled by a lot of legal- and social rules and regulations. I accept them forcefully and don't bother too much, because it is what is more or less necessary for living together safely. (How safe is that though, if you can get shot at your school by a guy with crazy and unstable mind)

Gert Level 7 Mar 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.