Agnostic.com

3 0

Swearing under oath

What happens if an Atheist is being sworn under oath with a Bible in front of them with the question "so help you god?" Do some Atheist lie about it just to get it over with or what happens if you admit you're an Atheist?

Atheist_chick 5 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can go either way on this. I see it as a formality. I do take to heart the intent. In other words, I intend to tell the truth, the whole truth, or whatever the circumstances are.

I wonder if anyone's fake oath has been challenged? For instance, could someone claim that a witnesses testimony could not be relied upon, once it was found out that he/she has did the "so help me god" thing, despite being an atheist.

The athiest needs to say I don't believe in god before getting sworn in without the metaphysical mumble jumble.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 14, 2019

The strongest, or most militant don’t. The First Family of American Atheism had members spend time in jail due to their unwillingness to ‘so help them god’ in order to serve on a jury. They were further harassed by the courts for continuing their refusal. Many do not allow their sons to join ‘the boy scouts’ due to their god oath..

It all depends on how far you care to take it after resisting. At least there are organizations (in the USA) willing to defend the most egregious of these demands. As has been described around here before, many government agencies now give you an opportunity to ‘affirm’ without the need of a ‘god.’ But - those rights were only obtained by those willing to fight for them!

Varn Level 8 Dec 14, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:438092
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.