Agnostic.com

1 1

QUESTION Paranoia and the Pursuit of Happiness - TheHumanist.com

The staggering proliferation of guns in the US is but a symptom of this fear. It looks as though Americans are preparing to arm themselves against an imminent intruder. But from whom do we need protection? “Maybe from zombies,” Chomsky observes. “Whoever it is, we just have to have guns to protect ourselves. That’s not known elsewhere in the world. Maybe in, say, Syria, a country that’s warring you might find something like that. But in a country that’s not only at peace but has an unusual security and a great degree of freedom, that’s quite remarkable.” Perhaps, as Chomsky suggests, our American brand of paranoia is simply a luxury, almost a recreation, which we can indulge only because we have the time and means—the freedom—to do so.

As insurance against a crumbling dream, guns offer a fast and easy kind of consolation that plays very well with American thinking, i.e., that surely something in my life—some unseen advantage, some undiscovered asset—will deliver me from the lousy hand I’ve been dealt.

zblaze 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for sharing that post. ?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.