Agnostic.com

6 0

Why do a lot of people read text messages or messages in Messenger and never reply back?

My aunt is the person whom does this the most. I will text her something important and I will never hear back. She only replies if it's a question. I find that rude. I rarely talk to her now unless it's a question. Sometimes I have to ask it several times. I sometimes ask if she saw the message. Mostly it is a YES answer. She has stage 4 Melanoma cancer. Is that a good enough excuse to ignore your niece? Even when I used to message my boss about something (both of them) they will read it but not respond. But when they message me for things, like to come in on my days off, they flip out if I don't respond in 10 minutes. Some of my Messenger friends do the same thing. This is why I don't have many friends. I talk to 2 people now. My friend that lives here and someone I've become close to on here. I've always thought it was polite to respond to messages and not leave people hanging. Once I replied back to someone on FB Messenger, and they didn't read the reply for 1 whole year! I unfriended that person after 1 year, because they never read my reply. Lol. I don't like it, so I don't do it to other people. I had a close friend from my old work, and when she got a smart phone, she only answered in Messenger, "K," or only read my messages. I stopped talking to her now. Are you one to respond back eventually or read a text and not reply?

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you ask direct questions?...maybe they mean to do it later and just forget, maybe they have other things on their mind?....

Yes, I asked my aunt. She said not all messages need an answer. Only the questions do.

Sometimes one just needs to stay quiet.

Yeah.

The same can be said of email. I think it may have something to do with how abbreviated it is. The shorter the email or the shorter the message, the more likely I am to get a response.

Yep.

Lol,, story of my life.

Lol.

I have a friend like that. I'll take the time to send her a message, especially if I know she's having a tough time with anything, and more often that not I get no reply - or, if I'm lucky, my long and carefully crafted message just gets a "thumbs up". Talking face-to-face, meanwhile, we have long conversations - so I guess some people are just really bad at message etiquette!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 26, 2018

A lot of people are.

My mother does this to me. I find it annoying, so I don't text her anymore.

I rarely use Messenger now.

@Sarahroo29 I use it for my kids to contact me quickly. Otherwise I have exactly two people whom I speak with on the regular.

@ashortbeauty 2 people on there message me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.