Agnostic.com

9 6

The 5 Benefits of Jigsaw Puzzles for Adults

Do you like jigsaw puzzles? A lifelong jigsaw puzzle lover, I usually have one going. It's a meditation. I get a small shot of dopamine- pleasure- each time I fit in a piece.

"Can you feel the puzzle underneath the tablecloth?" I asked my daughter and her husband during breakfast on Christmas Eve. "Yes," Claire replied. "Is it finished?"

While she was growing up, Claire and I did age-appropriate puzzles. We had fun! My parents always had a jigsaw puzzle going on a small table. We four kids worked on it. Chaos ensured when the last piece was missing.

"I know you have it!" we accused, shaking each other down. Dad casually walked by, reached into his pocket and dropped in the missing piece. He walked away laughing.

"Puzzles significantly assist our brains in the production of dopamine, a neurotransmitter. When the brain responds to either minute or massive breakthroughs, it releases dopamine. This neurotransmitter causes improved motoring skills, an increase in concentration power, optimism, confidence, and an enhanced recollection."

The 5 Benefits of Jigsaw Puzzles for Adults

1. Enhanced memory

2. Accelerated Ingenuity

3. Supporting the entire thought process

4. Production of dopamine

5. Meditation

[dumblittleman.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, what a lot of benefits I didn't realize I was getting from my puzzle hobby - how cool! I used to have one going all the time, but I always got a seasonal one to set up for my Christmas Eve party. A large group of us would sit around the table and work the puzzle while chatting and laughing. Much as they laughed initially, the group started expecting it, and some would even buy a puzzle for the following year's party.

I need to start working puzzles.

My mother and I shared in this hobby. She would spend hours lost in a really complicated one...I would search for new ones at Christmas for her and while she would protest that the puzzle was ridiculously difficult, I knew she was delighted at the challenge and knew I would drop in to see her progress.

I think beyond the 5 benefits listed, traits such as discipline, patience, perseverance, imagination, and problem solving were also gained. There are other ways to also get these benefits, but who doesn't love a good jigsaw puzzle masterpiece gracing a spare bedroom wall? 😉 ha ha ha

Do crosswords and soduku in fact whatever is in the papers, but not jigsaws no. I also let the computer beat me at chess sometimes, don't want to hurt its feelings, by seeming too smart. And I mess about on a social media site when I have nothing better to do, which is a lot of the time as you can perhaps tell.

When I was a kid, my mother frequently had a folding table set up in our living room with a jigsaw puzzle going. She taught my sister and me the process: Find the edge pieces, build the border, group similar colors, etc. The puzzles were always 1,000 pieces or more. I always loved helping.

Last year at age 90, she developed dementia and went through uncomfortable bouts of mental/emotional distress. We were unable to calm her down. So I went out and bought some large-piece jigsaw puzzles, set up the bridge table, and sat down with her to puzzle. For short periods of time, at least, she would relax and be engaged while we pieced it together.

@Bobbyzen

That's wonderful. Good for you.

When my mother got dementia from a series of strokes, I put recordings of Dad's jazz band on my I-Pod. It calmed Mom to listen to Dad playing trumpet. She loved it.

My father was a professional jazz trumpet player from age 14- he lied about his age to get into the Musician's Union- until he died of cancer at age 51. Mom was 68 when she had her first big stroke from genetically elevated cholesterol. Luckily, I have excellent cholesterol.

As a teenager, I sat in playing flute when his band rehearsed at our house. Good memories.

@LiterateHiker @LiterateHiker Even before her dementia set in, my Mom’s back and legs were weak. She spent hours in a recliner watching NCIS/cop shows. After dementia hit and she started becoming agitated, I noticed the music on those shows was tense and dramatic, certainly contributing to her anxiety. So my father and I switched to music channels that played old classic pop, blues, & Jazz—Harry James, Bing Crosby, like that. She’d suddenly smile, hum, and tap her fingers and toes to the rhythm.

Your story of your father reminded me of this. Even years later, allow me to express my condolences on the loss of your father at such an early age. 🎼💙

@Bobbyzen

Thank you. I miss my parents.

Good observation. I applaud your ingenuity and loving care.

Love them! Doing a 1000 piece now.

Jigsaw Puzzles are very relaxing while listening to music at the same time.

@PureReality

Exactly.

This is very good to now,,have not done any in a long time,I suppose doing crossword puzzles would have a similiar effect ?

Playing music does the same thing for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:442873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.