Agnostic.com

13 1

Do you think we'll ever reach a point when atheists are the majority and when?

smugwombat 2 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I cite animism, voodoo, and violent versions of Islam, all of these coupled with the manifest scarcity of common sense in the human species.

If anybody says that I am being unduly pessimistic, part of me would agree with them.

In many countries they already are. In this country, not in my lifetime. However, knowing human tendencies to compete I'm sure even if everyone were a non-believer we would still find lots of things to fight over.

Despite lots of pessimism expressed here, and I realise it may take longer in America than elsewhere, but I give it three more generations in none theocratic countries before the "Nones" are in the vast majority.

In the UK the amount of regular worship attenders is less than 6.3% (English Church Census 2008 ) and most of those are JW's, Mormons, Muslims and Jews.
Most non white attendees are over sixty in the mainstream Christian churches or average over 30 in none white Christian churches where child attendance is usually compulsory.
Many denominations of Christians CANNOT recruit new clergy to the point where some methodist ministers are covering up to five congregations and Cof E churches are closing and or are being sold at an unprecedented rate.
In the Scandiwegian nations it is already far more advanced with less than 2% of the population identifying as Christian or church going.

I hope I will live long enough to see it, if the world's societies survives that long.

Unlikely

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 28, 2019

I don’t think so, because atheism is simply a negative reaction to religion. Without religion no one would identify as an atheist, even though they might technically be one.

People would have to find some other avenue for pumping up their egos

Hope not. How dull would that be. They would still start fighting as is evidenced here on this site.

As someone once said. If ever one single ideaology came to represent the views of the whole world in unity, then it would imeadiately have to split into the orthodox and the reformed versions, so that people could continue fighting.

@Fernapple Exactly. The only consistent thing with humanity is to try to outdo the ‘other’.

Here in the UK perhaps soon, in the US who knows. But we could also be on the brink of a new dark age, the future is unpredictable. A butterfly flaps its wings and everything changes.

Probably not.

Was pondering that just yesterday… Again, lamenting the sad fact archaeologists and anthropologists will someday describe this time as when they still believed in gods.. So, the twenty-fourth century?

Varn Level 8 Dec 27, 2019

Who knows

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 27, 2019

No because many people will not be able to accept a life that just ends when offered an alternative.

No.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2019

I feel like the rate of conversion to non-religious is increasing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:443052
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.