Agnostic.com

1 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting article. People search for happiness as though it were tangible, something they lost in the laundry or misplaced. I don't actually have a definition for happiness and never seen a satisfactory answer to what that state is because it is so subjective. For me, it's a sense of balance, of content, something the Swedes call "lagom"... or "just the right amount". Not to little, not too much, it is the opposite of rabid consumerism.

Happiness is a gift that comes from within, and is not necessarily tied to circumstances.

@Tomfoolery33 It's hard to be happy when you are starving or homeless.
So I believe that, yes, circumstances can effect (not negate) happiness.

@Kymmacg True. There are always exceptions. I was speaking more of a relatively "normal" life.

@Tomfoolery33 I'm sorry. It's part of my personality that I look at the macro as well as the micro. I work with the homeless who have lost normalcy. But I must ask then, is happiness only unfettered by circumstance if one is living a relatively normal life?

@Kymmacg I don't think it's ever completely unfettered by circumstance, but I would say that barring extreme circumstances it is. I can be sad about something, but still have moments of happiness when the sadness is forgotten momentarily. It's complicated, lol.

@Tomfoolery33 It is indeed and a subject I tend to mull over. Sociologist by education, I am extremely interested in complicated! I was explaining in another thread that I really like movies for happiness and sadness, and the study of human behaviour. Movies/booke are like bottles of emotions that you can open, inhale and transport yourself to emotions that you need at the moment. Hm. I think I need to go write!
😉

@Kymmacg I've been writing quite a bit lately myself. I have another book in the works.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:444836
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.