Agnostic.com

3 0

Should one or more cruise ship companies offer "Celebation of Life/Death with Dignity" cruises?

Having just been released from the hospital after dancing yet another dance with my chronic heart disease I have been thinking a lot about choosing how I want to go out. Maybe because I have a Caribbean cruise planned for late winter the two preoccupations have merged together in my mind into the one idea of cruises specifically aimed at passengers who , of their own volition, have chosen to name their own time and place for leaving this life. If people were invited to spend a last few days pampered in luxury in the company of their loved ones free of the distractions of everyday life spending an intimate time with each other, saying their good-byes and whatever else needs to be said, then were humanely euthanized in their cabins under the guidance of professional medical personnel before being buried at sea, would there be a market for such a service?

GareBear517 7 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a nice, although expensive, way to meet and discuss the subject with informed and like minded people. However, it is an immensely important subject that needs to be part of a national, if not, worldwide debate. Currently, religion and medicine have a white knuckle grip on the throat of assisted suicide that it is a political "third rail" for politicians and the only traction has been on the State level.

For me, it's very personal, having watched my only sibling and both my parents die horribly because medical science is extending life without improving the quality of life. And doctors have convinced themselves that doping us up to the point where they are comfortable saying, "It looks like he's suffering, but he's not aware of the agony. Try to ignore that he is gasping for breath, defecating his liquefied organs and writhing in agony." It's a lie and it completely ignores the horrendous experience loved ones must endure during the process of dying and for years afterwards.

You have hit the nail on the head. I have been criticized for using the term "war on religion" but this is but one of the grievous insults and injuries caused by religion on society that needs to be addressed aggressively.

I think we should not be wasted and should be recycled as fertiliser or something useful rather than paying loads of money to get burned or make a cemetery really fertile that takes up loads of room and doesn't do any good. if someone dies I will feel however I'm going to feel at the moment of hearing the news. I don't need anything else for myself either.

What better use could our remains fulfill than fish food?

there's nothing wrong with being fish food or fertiliser. the point is it would save all that money it costs to cremate or bury you in a place your remains are basically wasted. in India, some peoples have open top buildings where they take there dead to be eaten by vultures. thats a good idea too.

This sounds like a lovely way to go out. Is there a market? Hmmm. Perhaps. The religious of the world would likely go nuts. At least many of those of the Christian persuasion would flip their shit.

Keep the Christians below decks as ballast. Who needs party poopers?

Let them go ape shit! Nothing better than free advertising!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4466
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.